Surface pro purchase

japs

Striker
Not bought a computer in ages, so not sure where is the best place to buy from? Looking at pc world, but wondered if anyone had any recommendations...other than don't buy a surface pro.

Not bought a computer in ages, so not sure where is the best place to buy from? Looking at pc world, but wondered if anyone had any recommendations...other than don't buy a surface pro.
Got mine from pc world. Good piece of kit. Might get the new one shortly.

Had a surface pro 3 for work and it was tremendous - i did a lot of travelling and it was great - only downside was just one USB port

Had a surface pro 3 for work and it was tremendous - i did a lot of travelling and it was great - only downside was just one USB port
I had a 3 too. Bought the Dock for it to good that issue.

Good bit of kit though. Apart from the thermal issues which I'm sure they've sorted by now

Microsoft tightly control distribution of the Surface brands so you don't really see any significant price differences. When there are reductions, there are reductions everywhere they are available.

For that reason, I say go to John Lewis - you get a 2 year warranty as standard and their extended warranties are comparatively inexpensive.

I've had the Surface Pro 3, Pro 4 and I'm currently sporting a Book 2. They are superb bits of kit. I'd like a Surface Go for when I want to go out with only the man-bag, but apparently, I've got to "get the bathroom done" first or my intestines will be supporting hosiery.

I had a 3 too. Bought the Dock for it to good that issue.

Good bit of kit though. Apart from the thermal issues which I'm sure they've sorted by now
I found the dock to be a right pain in tbe arse initially to get the right display port cables - needed active not passive iirc but once that was sorted it was spot on. Had the i7 at the time so was decent.

Phone Microsoft and ask them what discount they can give you. When I got my Surface 3 a few years ago, they gave me the educational discount and threw in a cover and pen as well for free.

Certainly it seemed that all the agents were authorised to give you the educational discount whether or not you qualified for it.

Dunno what the prices are like compares to else where but you can buy them direct from microsoft from the windows store

Theres a Devices tab that has them

Currently theres one going £600, it has £200 off normally its £800

Was going to buy one with an extended 3 year warranty from John Lewis for someone but found the exact same machine for nearly £200 less on sale at Argos. Fuck the extended warranty for that price I thought.

Useful replies, thanks all. What models do people have? Want to run office for word and Excel....as well as browsing. Found one for £600 that is:

Intel Core m3, 128GB SSD, 4GB RAM

Needs keyboard, pen and office on top though. That seem ok?

I found the dock to be a right pain in tbe arse initially to get the right display port cables - needed active not passive iirc but once that was sorted it was spot on. Had the i7 at the time so was decent.
I had no issues at all with dp cables? Haven't even heard of active vs passive. Mine was just "a cable".
I had the i7 too, pointless, thermals were too high, and it throttled too much whenever there was a gpu load.
Managed to undervolt it which helped a bit.
Using a ubc fan made a big difference though.

I had no issues at all with dp cables? Haven't even heard of active vs passive. Mine was just "a cable".
I had the i7 too, pointless, thermals were too high, and it throttled too much whenever there was a gpu load.
Managed to undervolt it which helped a bit.
Using a ubc fan made a big difference though.
It just wouldn’t work with a certain cable and when we asked Microsoft they said it needed an active display port cable.

Useful replies, thanks all. What models do people have? Want to run office for word and Excel....as well as browsing. Found one for £600 that is:

Intel Core m3, 128GB SSD, 4GB RAM

Needs keyboard, pen and office on top though. That seem ok?
Pen is next to f***ing useless imo. In 3 years I used it no more than a few times.

Keep your money.

Back