Superb covers

Just when I thought you had ears of cloth for liking Cilla Black over Dionne Warwick you go and redeem yourself with this! ;)
Seeing as Dylan is always a favourite in these threads here's apparently one of his favourite covers of one of his songs.....

Dionne Warwick is a great singer. And Cilla was a great singer in her day. Burt Bacharach thought so and I am pretty sure he didn't have ears of cloth ?
I did once raise the ire of some Youtube keyboard warriors by saying that I thought Dionne's version of "Say a little prayer for you" was as good as Aretha Franklins but different. It's all a matter of opinion.

The much underrated Liz Mitchell

Last edited:

Dionne Warwick is a great singer. And Cilla was a great singer in her day. Burt Bacharach thought so and I am pretty sure he didn't have ears of cloth ?
I did once raise the ire of some Youtube keyboard warriors by saying that I thought Dionne's version of "Say a little prayer for you" was as good as Aretha Franklins but different. It's all a matter of opinion.

The much underrated Liz Mitchell

I couldn't stand Cilla's voice, it was either glass etchingly coarse or wimpy soft, she spoiled some really good songs in her day imo.

Loads of people like her, i don't.

Leiber and Stoller apparently hated his version, till the money came rolling in...

they did,written as a woman singing about her dead beat husband,saw them on a documentary telling the story, tried to tell the fierce some razor slashed faced 18 stone Willie Mae Thornton how to sing it, she grabbed them both by the throat lifted them off the ground and scared the shit out of them, but she did as they asked eventually :lol:

Just realised that, without watching, it’s not obvious what these are - top one is “Make my Heart Fly”, originally by the Proclaimers; bottom is Pete Yorn’s version of Warren Zevon’s “Splendid Isolationl.

Last edited:

Back