Sundsrland review 96-97

I will always respect that team more than the 19 and 15 point season teams. To think we beat Man United, Arsenal and Chelsea at home and were still relegated on 40 points.

I'm pretty sure nobody up to that point in the premier league era had been relegated on 40 points. Then the following season no team had not been automatically promoted on 90 points. Can anyone clarify this?

Premier passions , notts forest game at roker amongst others led to out downfall, however beating chelsaC 3,0 sparked one of my best ever drinking sessions, ended In Sinatra's , getting kicked out by the bouncers

Yes that was the one. We were so close to hanging on! Shearer's offside goal at the landfill also cost us.

Any other year wedve stayed up

Hope history not gan repeat itself this year get 90 points & stay down any other year champions
I actually think the team Reid put together in the 97/98 season would have stayed up.

Last edited:
Aye good season though :lol:

The Forest game at home was only a draw but felt like a defeat.
‘‘Twas on motd iirc?

Loads of bother afterwards at the new derby between the seaburn casuals and the naughty 40 or whatever they were called

Saw one of the seaburn casuals nut this kid. I honestly thought he’d broken his skull. Caught him perfect

Teams are staying up with 38 points now we got relegated with 40

Less than that, its 34,35 these days?

That, and the 90 91 season i was still proud of the team as they gave it everything and were unlucky

90 91 if we signed viv anderson and jon byrne, and anyone other than mooney, i reckon would have stayed up

96 97 part bad luck, part lack of investment, part reidy being a twat like playing david kelly right wing when we had martin smith available.
Under used rae
Stewart up top man

Quinn and coton injuries didnt help either

Last edited:
‘‘Twas on motd iirc?

Loads of bother afterwards at the new derby between the seaburn casuals and the naughty 40 or whatever they were called

Saw one of the seaburn casuals nut this kid. I honestly thought he’d broken his skull. Caught him perfect

Doubt it as that's Stokes firm....

The nut sounds brutal mind.

Back