Sunderland's the BEST place to live in the country

Agree with all those plus points but from 18-30 are probably the best days of your life and if Sunderland ticks all the boxes you aren't trying hard enough :lol: Depends what you do of course ,i was a gig going,bass playing,motorbike mad lad who liked pubs and clubs and travel .When i wasn't everywhere else (newcastle,lakes ,edinburgh,scottish borders,south shields ) i went out in Sunderland .Thats not mentioning,opportunities for work .Could i have had a music career moving away? or any career you can only find in a bigger city or area
My 18-30 age was between 1994-2006, and especially around 94-01 Sunderland had everything a night out needed. We had plenty of jolly boys, used to travel away with SAFC and we had some holidays abroad. Was superb and I couldn’t have wanted more. As I’ve got older I’ve travelled with and without work which would’ve been wasted as a young ‘un, now I’m 40+ the city has plenty to keep me entertained on a weekly basis and a great place to bring up kids.

My 18-30 age was between 1994-2006, and especially around 94-01 Sunderland had everything a night out needed. We had plenty of jolly boys, used to travel away with SAFC and we had some holidays abroad. Was superb and I couldn’t have wanted more. As I’ve got older I’ve travelled with and without work which would’ve been wasted as a young ‘un, now I’m 40+ the city has plenty to keep me entertained on a weekly basis and a great place to bring up kids.
Just different for different people ,we had this same thing talking about shops ,Sunderland has what you need ,not what i need .Way way better nights out and choice of bars than Sunderland .Always has been.Doent mean i dont have a good night here cos really its about who you're with

Just different for different people ,we had this same thing talking about shops ,Sunderland has what you need ,not what i need .Way way better nights out and choice of bars than Sunderland .Always has been.Doent mean i dont have a good night here cos really its about who you're with
For me, a bar is a bar, my local was the Board Inn, which at that time was so much better than it is now, we knew a loads of the Barnes lads and we used to meet up in town to do the circuits dependant on what night it was. Sunday afternoons up Stables and Stackyard (when Dave has it) were some of the best days of my life too. Chambers, Ku were class. But it’s probably the company I was with that made it for me. Don’t think I’d ever thought what a good bar was at that time, as long as it sold drink.

But you’re right, what worked for me, clearly doesn’t work for you!

I’ve often said on here the cost of living in Sunderland is superb, especially house prices. The lads I used to manage from all over the UK were astounded at the cost of my 4 bed detached, especially the lad from Slough who was looking at 2 bed flats for more.

Schools are great, I’ve got all the entertainment I need in the city, great green spaces to go with the dog, cracking beaches.

Not sure of the job situation mind, there are enough low to middle income jobs I suppose for the younger ones, but I’ve had to build a career outside the city for the past 23 years...maybes things have changed?
When My bosses used to come up from London they were amazed at by how much better than their house mine was . They would assume my parents had helped (nee way) or our lass had a good job (didn't work) .

For me, a bar is a bar, my local was the Board Inn, which at that time was so much better than it is now, we knew a loads of the Barnes lads and we used to meet up in town to do the circuits dependant on what night it was. Sunday afternoons up Stables and Stackyard (when Dave has it) were some of the best days of my life too. Chambers, Ku were class. But it’s probably the company I was with that made it for me. Don’t think I’d ever thought what a good bar was at that time, as long as it sold drink.

But you’re right, what worked for me, clearly doesn’t work for you!
We both enjoyed Sunderland but its about choice available to make something the BEST .Most parents with kids of a certain age would encourage them to think big as far as their lives and jobs go ?I'm not interested in loads of different cool bars anymore,or a bike or rock scene or endless choices on band gigs so this area suits me to a tee .

We both enjoyed Sunderland but its about choice available to make something the BEST .Most parents with kids of a certain age would encourage them to think big as far as their lives and jobs go ?I'm not interested in loads of different cool bars anymore,or a bike or rock scene or endless choices on band gigs so this area suits me to a tee .
I’ve already advised my 15 year old that she’ll likely build a better career away from Sunderland when the time comes, I hope that by the time my 8 and 3 years olds get to a working age we’ve seen some positive changes in this city and they can build a career here!

I expect them all to fuck off to be honest though, which is great, I get my cinema/games room and knock the walls through to get a walk in wardrobe! :cool:

I’ve already advised my 15 year old that she’ll likely build a better career away from Sunderland when the time comes, I hope that by the time my 8 and 3 years olds get to a working age we’ve seen some positive changes in this city and they can build a career here!

I expect them all to fuck off to be honest though, which is great, I get my cinema/games room and knock the walls through to get a walk in wardrobe! :cool:
We all have a dream :eek::lol:

I actually miss Sunderland loads. Moved to Hunwick (Crook) last year - mainly to give life in the sticks a try with my partner...we love the area - house has been a disaster (Another story) but I'm really homesick at present. Miss being able to pop in and see my dad on the way to/back from work.

I was born and raised in Pennywell, lived in the city all my life - save for a couple years in the Smog of Boro.

I'd go back to my home City in a heartbeat if I could.

Love Sunderland me.
Homesick from crook? It's about 10 miles

Back