Sunderland's the BEST place to live in the country

The 1st one isnt about living there.
2nd one is fair enough as there is an issue about jobs, but you can commute to Newcastle via metro fairly easily.

The 3rd is neither here nor there & probably expected for somewhere with cheap house prices.

There is also
Sunderland ranked in the top ten safest places to live in the UK - this is why

https://www.itv.com/news/tyne-tees/...top-place-to-live-and-work-in-the-north-east/

Yes, stupid clickbait either way, I'm not arguing any of them are credible.

This is why the ‘Northern Powerhouse’ and things like HS2 is such bollocks. The money would have been better spent properly connecting the North.

Now now, HS2 is going to reduce the journey time from London to Birmingham from 1hr 20 to 1 hr 10, and it's only going to cost a sum of money large enough to upgrade every single rail line in the UK if you spread it around instead of spunking it on one project

Life expectancy.

Sunderland-77
National- 79
Hardly worth mentioning, you make it sound as though we're all dropping down dead at 60.

Incomes

Of course our average income is lower but so is the cost of living.

You say yourself "a better standard of living when compared to the national average income"

The level of investment in Sunderland is pathetic in national terms. The fact that some people are trying to paint it as being some kind of haven of perfection is ridiculous.

The biggest employers are the civil service and Nissan - the civil service is closing all of its offices in Sunderland Washington and Peterlee in the next 4/5 years and moving them to Newcastle. As for Nissan - they’ve already stopped investing in the plant because of the uncertainty around Brexit.

Incomes in Sunderland are on average 25% lower than elsewhere - £20k as opposed to £27k. Teenage pregnancy rates are 32% compared to 18% nationally.

The city is desperate for investment. Yes it’s getting some now in terms of some of the infrastructure but it’s going to take so long to undo the decades of chronic under investment by the government.

The level of investment in Sunderland is pathetic in national terms. The fact that some people are trying to paint it as being some kind of haven of perfection is ridiculous.

The biggest employers are the civil service and Nissan - the civil service is closing all of its offices in Sunderland Washington and Peterlee in the next 4/5 years and moving them to Newcastle. As for Nissan - they’ve already stopped investing in the plant because of the uncertainty around Brexit.

Incomes in Sunderland are on average 25% lower than elsewhere - £20k as opposed to £27k. Teenage pregnancy rates are 32% compared to 18% nationally.

The city is desperate for investment. Yes it’s getting some now in terms of some of the infrastructure but it’s going to take so long to undo the decades of chronic under investment by the government.
Have you got sources for all that mate as it doesn't sound quite right?

Have you got sources for all that mate as it doesn't sound quite right?
According to Wikipedia (I know) Nottingham, Hull, Doncaster, Barnsley, Boro, Manchester(highest), Bristol, Stoke, Bradford, and Blackpool have the highest rates of teen pregnancy while London has the highest rates of abortion.

According to Wikipedia (I know) Nottingham, Hull, Doncaster, Barnsley, Boro, Manchester(highest), Bristol, Stoke, Bradford, and Blackpool have the highest rates of teen pregnancy while London has the highest rates of abortion.
20k average salary sounds far too low aswell.

Statistics, statistics..........
Can be manipulated to supposedly prove whatever you want to prove.

In my younger days living in Sunderland was my dream,

but that was before I moved to Spain.

If you have a half decent job then the place is great. The reason the place is great is because of the lack of investment and therefore people leave and the rents and houses are affordable. Income is only relevant in comparison to the cost of living. Teenage pregnancy is not 32% or 18%. The figures for teenage pregnancy have dramatically dropped and are the lowest since records began in late 60s.
It isn't Shangri La but it's not that bad for your average bloke.

I’ve often said on here the cost of living in Sunderland is superb, especially house prices. The lads I used to manage from all over the UK were astounded at the cost of my 4 bed detached, especially the lad from Slough who was looking at 2 bed flats for more.

Schools are great, I’ve got all the entertainment I need in the city, great green spaces to go with the dog, cracking beaches.

Not sure of the job situation mind, there are enough low to middle income jobs I suppose for the younger ones, but I’ve had to build a career outside the city for the past 23 years...maybes things have changed?
Agree with all those plus points but from 18-30 are probably the best days of your life and if Sunderland ticks all the boxes you aren't trying hard enough :lol: Depends what you do of course ,i was a gig going,bass playing,motorbike mad lad who liked pubs and clubs and travel .When i wasn't everywhere else (newcastle,lakes ,edinburgh,scottish borders,south shields ) i went out in Sunderland .Thats not mentioning,opportunities for work .Could i have had a music career moving away? or any career you can only find in a bigger city or area

Left ten years ago when I was 18. Would love to live in Sunderland but the jobs just aren't there.

Was a great place to grow up.... regardless of the fact we didn't have a half-decent music venue, cinema, and had one bowling alley for most of my youth.

Much more cultural these days. The changes from 2008 are noticeable, hopefully the investment and regeneration continues.

Aye saw that adzuna one. That uses job adverts which I don't think could be trusted as accurate.

This is three years old but the ONS I would say would be the most reliable source.
Annual Survey of Hours & Earnings - Map

And that comes out at £25k for a full time job.

I’ve often said on here the cost of living in Sunderland is superb, especially house prices. The lads I used to manage from all over the UK were astounded at the cost of my 4 bed detached, especially the lad from Slough who was looking at 2 bed flats for more.

Schools are great, I’ve got all the entertainment I need in the city, great green spaces to go with the dog, cracking beaches.

Not sure of the job situation mind, there are enough low to middle income jobs I suppose for the younger ones, but I’ve had to build a career outside the city for the past 23 years...maybes things have changed?
I was in Portsmouth a few years ago and a couple of locals heard my accent and tried to be funny knts. They started going on about how "they could buy the street I live in for the price of their house". I ended up talking to them and trying to explain that my 350k house cost exactly the same as their 350k house but I get a detached four bedroom kip with front and rear gardens and a detached garage and they get a run of the mill terraced two up two down for the same money.
They still insisted they had the better deal because we all live in "cheap houses".
Fckwits

My view is, if people want to spend over the odds on a house half the size of mine for the same money or more that's their daft fault, lets them get on with it. And it only takes me 20mins to get to work most mornings anarl ;)

I was in Portsmouth a few years ago and a couple of locals heard my accent and tried to be funny knts. They started going on about how "they could buy the street I live in for the price of their house". I ended up talking to them and trying to explain that my 350k house cost exactly the same as their 350k house but I get a detached four bedroom kip with front and rear gardens and a detached garage and they get a run of the mill terraced two up two down for the same money.
They still insisted they had the better deal because we all live in "cheap houses".
Fckwits
An opinion probably based on never actually visiting Sunderland! Thick as fuck!

I’m a big fan of these location, location, location type shows, and I’m astounded as to some of the budgets and what type of property it can buy you! Massive budgets, and buying shite!

I actually miss Sunderland loads. Moved to Hunwick (Crook) last year - mainly to give life in the sticks a try with my partner...we love the area - house has been a disaster (Another story) but I'm really homesick at present. Miss being able to pop in and see my dad on the way to/back from work.

I was born and raised in Pennywell, lived in the city all my life - save for a couple years in the Smog of Boro.

I'd go back to my home City in a heartbeat if I could.

Love Sunderland me.

Back