Sunderland's oldest building

Bronze age settlements on Humbledon Hill and Warden Law though not really buildings as such. Burial chambers on Hastings Hill and at Seven Sisters are Neolithic and I guess would meet some of the criteria of a building... otherwise it’s likely to be a random non-listed building somewhere in the East End or the are around the minster Such as the buildings that are occupied by 2 Church Lane and Empire Spice (is that what it’s called?). I remember reading that building occupied by Fitzgerald’s is really old (like mid 17thC), but it’s not listed so difficult to be sure. Then you’ve got Holy Trinity and The Clarendon and The Boars Head which are all 1719 to 1720’s. The Minster is pre-Norman conquest but is unrecognisable from its original incarnations.

When we lived in 2 Church Lane in the late 50s and early 60s, we were told that the house was over 300 years old then. Sadly they were subsequently demolished and the present nondescript buildings were built. They were stone built and I carved my initials outside the back door.

674ad
I would think some of the buildings round the angel pub and free masons hall beside the fish quay
The building beside the old 29 and fire station used to be the oldest
That one near the old 29 was a Chinese takeaway. Pretty sure they were the oldest at the time of demolition in the 80s.

There is a wall remaining over the road from Park Lane which I believe is very old. Behind the student flats on Stockton Road.

Penshaw Monument was opened on 28th August 1844 if you're wondering
St Peter's. Monkweaarmouth

Did you mean: st peter's Monkwearmouth

Search Results​

Web results​

St Peter's Church, Monkwearmouth - Wikipedia​

en.wikipedia.org › wiki › St_Peter's_Church,_Monkwe...

St Peter's Church, Monkwearmouth is the parish church of Monkwearmouth in Sunderland, Tyne and Wear, England. It is one of three churches in the Parish of ...
Years built: 7th, 10th, 14th & 19th centuries

Maybe it was Benedict Biscop who began it all.

St Peter's. Monkweaarmouth

Did you mean: st peter's Monkwearmouth

Search Results​

Web results​

St Peter's Church, Monkwearmouth - Wikipedia

en.wikipedia.org › wiki › St_Peter's_Church,_Monkwe...

St Peter's Church, Monkwearmouth is the parish church of Monkwearmouth in Sunderland, Tyne and Wear, England. It is one of three churches in the Parish of ...
Years built: 7th, 10th, 14th & 19th centuries

Maybe it was Benedict Biscop who began it all.
Not south side
That one near the old 29 was a Chinese takeaway. Pretty sure they were the oldest at the time of demolition in the 80s.

There is a wall remaining over the road from Park Lane which I believe is very old. Behind the student flats on Stockton Road.
Isn't there an old arch in sunniside next to Thai restuarant that used to be charles bells

Last edited:
Is it the white farmhouse opposite Bede School/College?
It’s a good shout. Dates from the 1500s. Me dads mate used to live in it and it’s the oldest inhabited house in Sunderland I believe. The houses behind Holmeland Stores date to 1640, so there are a few that go way back.

Back