Sunderland will oppose a flat salary cap

Who should be earning 10k a week?

No one needs that amount of money, but if society allows people to be far richer than others then why should footballers be punished?

Should be levelled up a bit more Everywhere tbh. Some people have the cash to make thing easier for others and should do. Not saying that I agree with this cap cos it’s daft if we provide our club with what we do and the likes of Fleetwood spend the same but there are footballers being paid disgracefully unethical wages.

Utter shit, fair competition would be all the divisions, are you 12?
Premier league has its own revenue stream so they will oppose it fearing to fall behind rest of Europe, but you have to start somewhere and now is the time to indroduce the measures, it’s not rocket science to figure out why
Its not meant to be about fair competition though. I mean, why have fair competition in league one and two but not in the other leagues in the pyramid? It's nonsensical. It's just meant to be about ensuring clubs don't overspend and go bust, but as people keep saying, this isn't the way to do it. If club A has 10 times the turnover of club B then it can safely, sustainably, offer higher wages. It has to be done as a percentage of turnover, but with SCMP they're already meant to have that, so why not just tweak it? If they want fair competition that's a totally different argument but I'd argue that's more important the higher up the pyramid you get where the big prizes are competed for, so again it's daft just doing it for these leagues
You need to start somewhere L1 and L2 are a good start to iron out few teething problems then get championship clubs to sign up, problems with based on turnover or luxury tax still allows a club to spend massively

Last edited:
As I said elsewhere we have Premier League footballers getting in excess of £300K per annum, players like Aaron Ramsey getting £20M a year. We also have players in the lower leagues who have mortgage worries and who will have major financial concerns when they finish playing - yet we are saying to the ones who have more financial pressure we will stop you from earning the pay that some clubs are willing to pay. I assume the PFA will bring a legal case against this as it is ethically and possible legally unfair on players. Yes, clubs will struggle to survive but it has always been thus - the answer is employ an accountant and pay what your revenue stream allows.

Add into this the idea that the EFL does not have the bottle to make decisions but hides behind a load of clubs who vote only for self interest rather than what is the right thing to do.

So can we not start signing players till the league make up there minds, what if we signed 6 players now and broke the salary cap agreed in a month's time.

What could the efl actually do , also how do you handle relegated clubs.

It's a total mess and the EFL have just shown themselves to be useless

The other area that is massively costing clubs is agent fees - how about attacking that? Why penalise players who even now are at the lower end of the scale?

Surely if they want clubs to be sustainable, they should just make them balance the books at the end of every season or face a points deduction for over spending. That should prevent clubs slowly sliding into oblivion.

There are no bounds to this clown's incompetence.

Imagine trying to make sure that we have the votes from other clubs to prevent this by saying "sustainability is not the same as levelling the playing field... This issue is not supposed to be about level playing fields" when most clubs will want exactly that?

Not a f***ing clue.
if there is a slary cap..safc will be much worse off as a football club relatve to every other team in this leagu.
these owners have got most things wrong, but opposing a flat salary cap is very sensible, though it would make them more money to support it

if there is a slary cap..safc will be much worse off as a football club relatve to every other team in this leagu.
these owners have got most things wrong, but opposing a flat salary cap is very sensible, though it would make them more money to support it
You can use it as a cash cow then though.

yse btu i wsa mkniga teh pinot taht he wsa ginog teh worng way aoubt it by tllineg poplee taht a srlaay cap was a lveel pnaylig fleid wehn taht is eltcaxy waht msot of tehm wlil wnat.

yse btu i wsa mkniga teh pinot taht he wsa ginog teh worng way aoubt it by tllineg poplee taht a srlaay cap was a lveel pnaylig fleid wehn taht is eltcaxy waht msot of tehm wlil wnat.
a flat salary cap is a level playing field, other types of salary cap, are not a level playing field, but are also not what is proposed.

I’m sure the PFA would sit back and be quite happy for the football league to restrict their players earning capacity.

Back