*****Sunderland vs Morecambe match thread****

Maja is an interesting one. He's rubbish in the air, doesn't put himself about a lot, but get the ball to his feet in the penalty box and he'll often score. He is of course not yet in the same class as Phillips, etc., but he is only 19 and look at the improvement in just the last year. If he continues to improve his game at that rate he could be quite an asset.
With someone like Eaves upfront with Maja playing off him, could cause havoc.

Lad is entitled to his opinion.

As we're entitled to comment on it.

It takes a special kind of miserable know-nowt to write off a 19 year old thrown into a makeshift first team after years of club failure, having seen him score 10 goals in less than 20 games....and having literally just watched him score a 91st minute winner for us.

Of course the odds are against any 19 year old in league 1 becoming a huge star in the Prem. But the rest of us are more than happy to dream that dream with him. We don't want him to fail so we can be proved right...

As we're entitled to comment on it.

It takes a special kind of miserable know-nowt to write off a 19 year old thrown into a makeshift first team after years of club failure, having seen him score 10 goals in less than 20 games....and having literally just watched him score a 91st minute winner for us.

Of course the odds are against any 19 year old in league 1 becoming a huge star in the Prem. But the rest of us are more than happy to dream that dream with him. We don't want him to fail so we can be proved right...
Who wants him to fail? You need to get your head out of your backside.

SAFC website makes reference to James Fowler as being the man in charge tonight. Was Jack Ross there?

Has he attended any Checkatrade games so far?

Just got back.

We were fairly poor. Loovens looks slow and shite, Ozturk an amateur defender. Oviedo was horrific, he gave the ball away so much it was embarrassing - I got the feeling he didn't want to be playing and saw himself as too good for this type of match/tournament. Ruitter looked shaky but made a good save late on.

On the positives, Power got on the ball and really looked like he can take control of games. We're much tighter at the back and another clean sheet is good. The young lads did canny I liked Diamond and Connolly who game on (he looked about 4 foot 8 like) another goal for Maja and we continue the winning streak.

Was an awful match mind but we take the win and move on to a home game, at long last!

Just got back.

We were fairly poor. Loovens looks slow and shite, Ozturk an amateur defender. Oviedo was horrific, he gave the ball away so much it was embarrassing - I got the feeling he didn't want to be playing and saw himself as too good for this type of match/tournament. Ruitter looked shaky but made a good save late on.

On the positives, Power got on the ball and really looked like he can take control of games. We're much tighter at the back and another clean sheet is good. The young lads did canny I liked Diamond and Connolly who game on (he looked about 4 foot 8 like) another goal for Maja and we continue the winning streak.

Was an awful match mind but we take the win and move on to a home game, at long last!

Not surprised Ruiter looked shaky with the The turk and dutch in front of him. Recurring nightmares of last season with Browning JOS and Wilson

Not surprised Ruiter looked shaky with the The turk and dutch in front of him. Recurring nightmares of last season with Browning JOS and Wilson

He missed a couple of easy crosses and his communication/ relationship with his back 4 didn't look ideal. Having said that there was a good reaction save he made at the end that kept it at 0-0. We would have lost if that had gone in.

He missed a couple of easy crosses and his communication/ relationship with his back 4 didn't look ideal. Having said that there was a good reaction save he made at the end that kept it at 0-0. We would have lost if that had gone in.

sounds exactly like last season. Made some good saves at times but nervous and as indecisive most of the time

I like that you can't contribute to what Maja brings to his game. Ian Rush started off at Chester, still grafted his balls off alone up front...and scored goals.
Did Ian Rush graft his balls off, alone, up front, at the age of 19? You're comparing Josh Maja, now, with people who we have no idea how they played, when they were that age. We have access to who they played for and the like, but, there is nothing that can back up your claim. I reiterate, we do have the information about who they played for and how many goals they scored. In terms of this information, Josh Maja compares favourably with some very successful and prolific strikers. This doesn't mean he'll emulate them, of course, but, given the choice of a striker who scores goals Vs one that runs about a lot, I'll have the one who scores goals thanks. To expect a novice to be the finished article is laughable.

Loovens looks slow and shite, Ozturk an amateur defender. Oviedo was horrific, he gave the ball away so much it was embarrassing - I got the feeling he didn't want to be playing and saw himself as too good for this type of match/tournament. Ruitter looked shaky but made a good save late on.

We're much tighter at the back and another clean sheet is good

Your post contradicts itself marra. You start by saying that Ruiter, Loovens, Ozturk and Oviedo weren't at the races and then go on to say that we're much tighter at the back. Doesn't really give a good analogy of things to me, but as you say we got a clean sheet!

Didn't have the luxury of Watching/Listening to the game, but from what have read here, what you are saying would make sense. Don't know what has happened to Oviedo, tho. He appears to have gone from Hero at the start of the season to Zero, at the mo!

Last edited:
SAFC website makes reference to James Fowler as being the man in charge tonight. Was Jack Ross there?

Has he attended any Checkatrade games so far?
Yes and yes all of them

Maja is an interesting one. He's rubbish in the air, doesn't put himself about a lot, but get the ball to his feet in the penalty box and he'll often score. He is of course not yet in the same class as Phillips, etc., but he is only 19 and look at the improvement in just the last year. If he continues to improve his game at that rate he could be quite an asset.
A bit like Jimmy Greaves then and at 19 ish Phillips had just Signed for baldock town oh and he’s already an asset

Last edited:
...you really comparing Maja to them? So , you saying he works and grafts?
All of them have reputations for “only” scoring goals. There’s more to “working and grafting” than running about a lot.

I’ve said it before, but when we have a striker who “works hard” but doesn’t score many, the SMB is full of people moaning that a striker’s main job to score goals. When we have a player who scores a lot of goals, the same moaners twist that a striker’s job isn’t only to score goals.

Last edited:
Did Ian Rush graft his balls off, alone, up front, at the age of 19? You're comparing Josh Maja, now, with people who we have no idea how they played, when they were that age. We have access to who they played for and the like, but, there is nothing that can back up your claim. I reiterate, we do have the information about who they played for and how many goals they scored. In terms of this information, Josh Maja compares favourably with some very successful and prolific strikers. This doesn't mean he'll emulate them, of course, but, given the choice of a striker who scores goals Vs one that runs about a lot, I'll have the one who scores goals thanks. To expect a novice to be the finished article is laughable.
Be careful mate.
Common sense posts with a sense of perspective won’t go down too well on here.

Not getting it are you? I'm talking about him grafting. Lazy he is in his workrate.

Just got back.

We were fairly poor. Loovens looks slow and shite, Ozturk an amateur defender. Oviedo was horrific, he gave the ball away so much it was embarrassing - I got the feeling he didn't want to be playing and saw himself as too good for this type of match/tournament.

Oviedo was the only one putting balls into the box with any real quality. And in terms of effort he was the one pushing forwards fast in the closing stages of the game. It wasn’t a surprise when he got the assist.

Defending wasn’t so good mind.

Not getting it are you? I'm talking about him grafting. Lazy he is in his workrate.
Here's a quote about Gary Lineker:

Gary Linekar was a great striker and scored a huge amount of goals. Part of the reason that he scored so many goals is that he couldn’t be bothered moving much when the opposition had the ball and saved all his energy in attack. Even still, when his team had the ball he still wouldn’t do too much running. Instead he was a notorious goal hanger and would just stay in the penalty area waiting for his chance to score. He was lazy, but it worked. He famously never received a booking during his career but that was mainly due to his lack of tackling or challenging the opposition than anything else.

I don't care that you think Maja is lazy. He scores goals. Why is him running about so important to you? Is it that you revel in the idea of turning a silk purse into a sow's ear?

Back