*** Sunderland v Lincoln Official Match Thread***

Difference seems to be that he's now got the fullbacks playing further forward, has improved Maguire's fitness and has Gooch getting back to form. If you think today was the same as a month ago then it's you being negative not the football

gooch has made a difference I agree on that. Football is still very negative though and we are better than that crap that’s being served up

Watford thrown it away in the cup. Were winning 3-0 and Tranmere have pulled it back to 3-3 :eek:
Did they check for extra players?
To be fair 4 games in 10 days is gonna have an effect ...
We are looking much fitter overall...as results are showing
The opposition didn't seem to slow down with the same number of games. Hopefully some of our players will eat fewer pies. Most do not look like professional athletes.

Last edited:
gooch has made a difference I agree on that. Football is still very negative though and we are better than that crap that’s being served up
Who, the team, the squad, the club or the fans? I know we don't want to go overboard after a win but at least try to get a bit of pleasure from it or what's the point.

Proverbial tale of two halves:

First half:

- lincoln were absolutely shocking. surely the worst half of football seen from a visiting side on Wearside for many a year'
- O'Nein and Hume had the run of the field
- their defence resembled the keystone cops on a very good day - absolutely shambolic

Half time:

- their manager told them to press up on O'Nein and Hume
- brought on that massive fuckoff striker

Second half:

- we were pretty poor
- O'Nein and Hume were ineffective;
- PP clearly didnt pick up this change of tactic and did zero to confront it
- their centre forward played well and they duly scored.....
- from what looked like a push on Hume mind

Hands up all those who were waiting for Lincoln to score after 86 minutes and perhaps notch a 92nd minute equaliser having played so poorly?

The performance are getting better and if we keep this up they may well be good enough to get us into the top 6, but lets be clear, this is SAFC we are talking about and it can all revert to type in an instant. Take things for granted at your peril....and for me 57 times bitten 114 times shy.

Long way to go yet.
Am sorry but this sort of negative post is becoming all too common.
The Facts:
!st half we were excellent , the lads continued the high press tactics that had seen us dominate v donny and fleetwood. We literally demolished Lincoln in side of 30mins.
2cnd half we took our foot off the gas ( the game was over long before HT ) and coasted comfortably through to 90mins, wasn't pretty 2cnd half but that is what most professional outfits do when in the position we were in. We finished the game in control, no injuries sustained and we move on.
Only the last 3 games , but the improvement in our performance is pretty dramatic.

Who, the team, the squad, the club or the fans? I know we don't want to go overboard after a win but at least try to get a bit of pleasure from it or what's the point.

everyone. Our squad and playing 11 are better than hoofing the ball and hoping. We should be going out to dominate teams and win games convincingly. Our fans deserve this. Our club deserves this. Still believe we have one off if not the best squad in the league - more an indictment on everyone else I agree - and we should be playing like it instead of declining to the lowest common denominator

I think we played really well today and the players seem to be a lot fitter. Their goal looked like a foul and considering this team put 5 past Ipswich last week I thought we looked pretty solid defensively.

Promising signs and automatic promotion is (god knows how) still in reach. Just need to sign a goal scorer from somewhere!

We won, and can only beat who's in front of us. Defensive tactics from opposing sides are a horror to watch, I'm watching Español do the same against Barcelona.

Am sorry but this sort of negative post is becoming all too common.
The Facts:
!st half we were excellent , the lads continued the high press tactics that had seen us dominate v donny and fleetwood. We literally demolished Lincoln in side of 30mins.
2cnd half we took our foot off the gas ( the game was over long before HT ) and coasted comfortably through to 90mins, wasn't pretty 2cnd half but that is what most professional outfits do when in the position we were in. We finished the game in control, no injuries sustained and we move on.
Only the last 3 games , but the improvement in our performance is pretty dramatic.
Nothing negative about the truth

our wing backs were nullified second half and as I say there would bmore than me wondering if they were going to score a second late on for a nervy finish

first half we were excellent, second half we weren’t and could have let it slip but for the fact that they were pretty shit

you can put whatever spin on it you like

I know what I saw

Well there's a few on here struggling to be pleased about the result - would rather we were sh1t than they were wrong ffs!
If you havent sussed that out by now you never will marra. Its unfortunate but it happens. Thankfully they are very much a minority.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nothing negative about the truth

our wing backs were nullified second half and as I say there would bmore than me wondering if they were going to score a second late on for a nervy finish

first half we were excellent, second half we weren’t and could have let it slip but for the fact that they were pretty shit

you can put whatever spin on it you like

I know what I saw
They weren't nullified imo , the game was won and it was a tactical decision to ease off.

We were never in any danger whatsoever, despite a flat 2nd half. The game was over after 30 minutes, and even after their offside goal we weren't in any real danger.
End of next year will be 50 years since I saw my first safc game. Next month is 53 years since I saw my first football
Match. I’ve been to 4 worod Cups and 4 European championships and followed England home and a way in the 70s and 80s

when I require you to interpret a football match for me I’ll ask you. Until then Ive given my opinion

With safc it is never over TIL it’s over

as I say there will have been more than just me wondering at 3 v 1 whether we were going to blow it or not

9 relegations, 9’consecutive Wembley defeats and countless games where safc has snatched defeat from the jaws of victory gives me a pretty informed view of how Close safc are from blowing games that we should have been comfortable in

Lincoln today were one goal away from making the end of the game very uncomfortable for us

Last edited:

Back