Sunderland "travellers"?

Counted sixteen horse and carts in a row go past us as we were walking along the top of the Cat and Dog steps. Loooooooooooong queue of cars crawling along behind them.
They headed along Thompson Road. Some were trying to overtake cars with their horses and traps. A lad was leaning out a car window with a beer in hand shouting abuse at motorists and pedestrians. I'm sure they can't all be arseholes but they just don't help themselves acting like this.

They headed along Thompson Road. Some were trying to overtake cars with their horses and traps. A lad was leaning out a car window with a beer in hand shouting abuse at motorists and pedestrians. I'm sure they can't all be arseholes but they just don't help themselves acting like this.

When we drove down to park at Marine Walk, we were behind two going along past the Wolsey, right knacker edging out to the right to stop anyone overtaking, riding straight down the middle where it opens up into two lanes past the Harbour View to take up both lanes. Charmers.

I have never experienced them getting away with stuff more than the general population.

Dealing with them can be very resource intensive, but from my experience it has never stopped us doing it. On one of my old units it seemed like we were on travellers sites every other day, a job needed doing there so it would get done. Been some interesting moments doing them.

Decent idea about basic training though.

:rolleyes:

:rolleyes::rolleyes:
You should just employ a shoot on sight policy. Thin their numbers out a bit.

Live in houghton and i pass a transit van every morning full of scrap and washing machines on the back parked outside his house. There is a camp near the Jet garage and see them all the time on their horses but tbh you get little if any bother from them. Think its something to do with houghton feast every year they get the work so know it would go to some other community if they caused bother. The camp itself im sure is locked up after 10 or something at night at the gates

There’s not one horse or scrapman on the Houghton site (or Hetton). They are showmen not pikeys.

Last edited:
There’s not one horse or scrapman on the Houghton site (or Hetton). They are showmen not pikeys.
Probs my lack of knowledge of the travelling community calling them all the same so ops.

buy i 100% get what your saying, the showmen on that site you see no bother with.

as for the scrapman i see, he doesnt even live on the site and for the ones on the horses well fuck knows where they come from haha

The last 20 years or so they’re like an epidemic.
When I was a kid the only people classed as Gypsies were Romany types, the women would knock on your door selling flowers or oddly enough pegs.
There’s clearly loads of travellers who with the open borders have moved over from Ireland in fairly recent times.
Add those to the plastic ones and they’ve sprung up all over the place.
Their horses seem to be tethered all over the County Durham landscape.

Back