Sunderland "travellers"?

Jon Dough

Winger
There were mounted police the other day patrolling around south hylton,two plod on horseback,never saw that when I was a kid.Nowadays sunderland is changing,whats the score with the horses tethered out on waste ground and the craze for pony-and-traps like the travelling community do?A friend told me sunderland has a good few travellers who were born in council houses,have no gypsy or travelling roots yet have a craze for going to Appleby gypsy market,scrap collecting,keeping horses etc,down here in surrey there are a number of gypsy and showman families,got yards,keep horses etc,but sunderland never had a history or population of travellers did it?

There has been a fair few, know of a few who lived on town end farm but these were originally travellers. These actually keep to themselves and don’t bother anyone to be honest

You also get a few who are just as you say.

I know one lad who is Sunderland daft who’s from a travelling background think he actually had links to the casuals at some point.

The Ford Estate lot come to Fatfield for their holidays.

There was one at the traffic lights on Castletown Way yesterday in the outside lane. I thought he was going to turn right onto the A1231 but no the braindead fucker went straight across the lights cutting over to the inside lane to go on the bridge. How he never got hit I don't know.

There were mounted police the other day patrolling around south hylton,two plod on horseback,never saw that when I was a kid.Nowadays sunderland is changing,whats the score with the horses tethered out on waste ground and the craze for pony-and-traps like the travelling community do?A friend told me sunderland has a good few travellers who were born in council houses,have no gypsy or travelling roots yet have a craze for going to Appleby gypsy market,scrap collecting,keeping horses etc,down here in surrey there are a number of gypsy and showman families,got yards,keep horses etc,but sunderland never had a history or population of travellers did it?
It's a lifestyle choice for some people these days. I know a few lads who aren't travellers but go out hunting with dogs, go to the fairs etc

The Ford Estate lot come to Fatfield for their holidays.

There was one at the traffic lights on Castletown Way yesterday in the outside lane. I thought he was going to turn right onto the A1231 but no the braindead fucker went straight across the lights cutting over to the inside lane to go on the bridge. How he never got hit I don't know.
was it some one with a private reg.

Live in houghton and i pass a transit van every morning full of scrap and washing machines on the back parked outside his house. There is a camp near the Jet garage and see them all the time on their horses but tbh you get little if any bother from them. Think its something to do with houghton feast every year they get the work so know it would go to some other community if they caused bother. The camp itself im sure is locked up after 10 or something at night at the gates

Last edited:

The horses on waste ground has been a thing ever since I was a kid - used to always be a couple on the grassland along Hylton Road when you got to that stretch near the cemetery and usually some very manky looking horses on the grassland between St Annes and what was then Quarry View school (lost track of what schools call themselves what these days now they've all bloody academised).

Real travellers would never live in a council house. The only way this lot can class themselves as travellers is the get the bus to the dole to sign on. To much watching king of gypsies and big fat gypsy wedding is what brough this lot out. Real travellers want nothing to do with them, cant be a traveller if your static in a council house.

Loads of people with no links at all to travellers like to claim they are travellers because they think it makes them sound hard and they hope people are fearful of the label. That is the top and bottom of it.

Why are you lot absolutely shit scared of confronting them then? In general terms. They seem to get away with far more than the general population.

I reckon a roll around with a gypsy encampment should be part of basic training.

I live in Hetton and there are quite a few. They live in the big houses just down from our estate.

Sunderland's favourite racist, fly-tipping, bouncy castle and removalist business woman goes down to Appleby and that. Always assumed she was just from the stock mind. i.e. family settled in the past but just keep up with some of the tradition.

Why are you lot absolutely shit scared of confronting them then? In general terms. They seem to get away with far more than the general population.

I reckon a roll around with a gypsy encampment should be part of basic training.
Easier to sit with a speed camera, zero confrontation, but feeds their ego.

Why the fuck would you want to be a traveller?

Every last one of them are scum. Worse if you are pretending to be one

Back