Sunderland Town Hall

they were just "old buildings" back then , no one gave a shit about historical interest. there was loads of great old buildings up beside the fire station , and down the east end , no one gave a fuck when they got demolished either . it was called "progress",but with hindsight ,yeah , it should have been kept . thing is , there still is loads of great old buildings in sunderland ,the old orphanage, stuff down high street etc. no one gives a fuck about them now .
Very fair point, things seem to move in cycles i think. Ie. There seems to be a renaissance in doing certain historical buildings up but i think a lot are just a pit to throw your money away.

The hole it left made a great place for skateboarding.

:lol:

Funnily enough this is my first memory of it.

I remember seeing a skateboarder absolutely wiping himself out on the landscaped(?) site after it had been demolished. He came tearing along a path and was about to hit someone, his board went one way and he went another.

Very fair point, things seem to move in cycles i think. Ie. There seems to be a renaissance in doing certain historical buildings up but i think a lot are just a pit to throw your money away.
theres a great old university building in durham that has been turned into a hotel , I went in just to see the tiled entrance and the restored foyer , magnificent ,brilliant use of an old ,defunct building . an ideal use for the likes of the Galen building, the orphanage, or countless other big stuff lying empty . the town hall debate is from another era , the era of "modernise" , not recycle .

An old subject I know but how could you have a building this magnificent and demolish it ?

GuardianWitness - Sunderland Town Hall
It was the 70s ,we'd grew up in dark old buildings with rattly windows and leaking roofs and coal fires ,we'd been to the moon and we're looking forward .Leccy fires ,colour tellies , hardboard over 4 panel doors ,new handles to match the diamond pattern wallpaper .We didn't want houses like our grannies .Little did we know we'd run out of ideas 30 years later
I heard it was structually knackered anyway .Too small for purpose and what else would it be used for ?

theres a great old university building in durham that has been turned into a hotel , I went in just to see the tiled entrance and the restored foyer , magnificent ,brilliant use of an old ,defunct building . an ideal use for the likes of the Galen building, the orphanage, or countless other big stuff lying empty . the town hall debate is from another era , the era of "modernise" , not recycle .
Orphanage is not empty. Used as part of Dementia Unit.

My memory is hazy. Have we ever had a tory council ?
67-73 I think.Fuck ups.

Wonder which lucky bugger snaffled them? Probably scrapped off.

Are you not from downhill? , nee downhiller would be seen on a skateboard you puff

Eh,scrapped? Moved round the corner in front of the old library entrance on Borough Road, still there.

Last edited:
It was the 70s ,we'd grew up in dark old buildings with rattly windows and leaking roofs and coal fires ,we'd been to the moon and we're looking forward .Leccy fires ,colour tellies , hardboard over 4 panel doors ,new handles to match the diamond pattern wallpaper .We didn't want houses like our grannies .Little did we know we'd run out of ideas 30 years later
I heard it was structually knackered anyway .Too small for purpose and what else would it be used for ?

My granny lived in a flat in Farringdon and it was nowt like this. I remember the staircase of the town hall and it was f***ing incredible.

Back