Sunderland to pursue permanent Sanderson move...

We’ve had players like Rose, Mensah, Alonso and M’Vila in that time so I’m not sure I’d agree with that.

He’s very promising, though.

Sleeves tweeted again after that to clarify his comment. Said he meant it in terms of the impact on the team and in comparison to the squad around him. I can see what he means although it might be a bit early to get too carried away.

Exactly the profile we should be going for. Would be very ambitious signing and I imagine not cheap even with only a year on his contract.

'what the player wants' seems to be more important than ever, so if he is happy here and we can agree a fair price then of course it could happen. That said remember when we loan players out and whine when clubs want to buy them? It's the same both ways, a PL club can afford to have someone on the books 'for the future' and meantime loan them out to a lower league club.

I like the kid. Physically right, mentality improving and his revelling in the responsibility of marshalling the makeshift back 4 recently.

But it should be noted that LJ up until it was forced upon him didn’t give DS much of a look in. The lad has certainly grasped the opportunity and has more than earned a prolonged run in the side regardless of who else is fit.

Talks of £5m+ is just silly. Another years loan works for all parties. If he’s available for £1-2m then LJ has to commit to playing him and building around him.

Clarke had played two seasons at League Two level before he was 21, though. Sanderson had only played a small amount of games in a different position in the league above, so is still learning really.

You’re paying for potential as well. The lad at a minimum has a future in The Championship based upon his athleticism alone.

I think the Evans comparisons are overboard at this stage. Evans was a complete class act and you could immediately tell he would be a Premier League player.
This. Best young talent i have seen play for us. Was like 18 first season we signed him
I'd absolutely sign him for sure, as he can improve, been our best player after McGeady lately. Just holding caution as this league is really really poor.

Good to see him get a run though I like his charachter

Its also worth noting that I am not sure johnson agrees with the majority on here, he always picks Flanagan every time ahead of him, and I reckon he will do again when him and Wright are fit.
Theres no way he can be dropped after hos current form, should be first choice CB

Last edited:
Who are our best 2 CH's when fit?

I love Wright, but Sanderson and Willis have the speed to make the difference. Still, 'when fit' is a crucial caveat.

I feel if we go up, we'll have more chance of signing him (abelit for a little more than we would like, but we have KLD now!).

I think Him, Luke O'Nien, Wyke and possibly Geeds if hes shortly out of contract should all be bough/given contract extensions for at least 3 years

We may or may not sign him but do you know what the best thing is about this ? We wouldn’t have even been linked with him a month ago. He would have been out of our league on a permanent deal whilst Donald and his mates signed us some burton reserve player in the summer. Feels like we are on the up and might actually get out of this league either this season or next.

That's down to Johnson.
Should be in the starting 11 every week
Willis was doing well enough and never deserved dropping when fit, but sanderson should have been picked ahead of him to protect his knee.

Willis always looked better next to Wright who sweeps up well, bas great positional sense and allows better ball players like Willis and sanderson to express themselves more.

More likely to loan us Sanderson for next season IF we get promoted.

He’s unlikely to spend another season at L1 level, hopefully staying with us will make sure he doesn’t have to.
He is contracted until 2022 so if it is a loan he will need to extend until 2023.

To compare the lad to Evans is a great bit of praise for him.

He's nowhere near Evans standard yet, but could well be. I'd love to see us sign him, cracking prospect. Nowt will happen unless we go up.

... apparently.

Sunderland to pursue permanent Sanderson move - reports
Sunderland will pursue a permanent move for Wolves defender Dion Sanderson this summer, according to reports.
The Daily Mail say that the Black Cats will look to bring the youngster to Wearside on a permanent basis over the summer, with Sanderson himself reportedly open to a move given the vast competition at his parent club.

Would be a decent signing. Looks a good footballer and likely capable of playing Championship football, should/if we get promoted.

I feel if we go up, we'll have more chance of signing him (abelit for a little more than we would like, but we have KLD now!).

I think Him, Luke O'Nien, Wyke and possibly Geeds if hes shortly out of contract should all be bough/given contract extensions for at least 3 years
:eek:

Hes head and shoulders above anyone else in League One on his day, but to give a 35 year old a 3 year contract would be absolutely batshit mental. He loves it here by the sounds of the interview he did the other week, give him a year’s extension at a time until he’s not up to it any more.

Back