Sunderland takeaways - where do you go?

Last time was fish and chips from plaice of cod back in April. I can't see the point of spending money and waiting when I can just put something in the oven and wait.

Fish and chips - Rarely order fish & chips, used to use Pauls down Grangey but think its got a different name now? not used it in over a year
Indian - Shans up Silky
Chinese - Garden Chop Suey in Ryhope
Pizza - Rarely order pizza either but last place I used was Rinos in Ryhope

Fish and chips - Tommy’s Doxy Park / The Hut Silky
Indian - RizQ (Herra)
Chinese - Magic Wok (Herra)
Pizza - Pizza Coop (Barnes) or Affamato (Silky), used to get them from the Cafe in Grangetown ASDA, but haven’t been to that ASDA since lockdown.

Guna try Pizza coop on your recommendation tonight.

Stone baked or thin which is better from here?

And for the sheepshaggers like me:

Fish and Chips - Cod fry. The chicken wrap is the size of a fire extinguisher.
Chinese - Fortune Palace. Best of a bad bunch, better off travelling to the Wok Inn in Brandon
Indian - Indian Cottage. Won the NE curry awards 2 years running, I had a naga last night and the reason I'm up git early today.
Pizza - Viva. Not a takeaway, but they are Italian. The pizza's in crook are dire, hence the restaurant started doing takewaways.

Fish and chips - The Bay/Fountains.
Indian - Not a huge fan, Forhans at a push.
Chinese - Absolutely rank.
Pizza - Devitos/Pizza Box.

Special mention for Burger Stop that has opened at Pennywell. Burgers (surprisingly), Parmos, and Steak all delicious.
Isn’t that burger stop owned by a well known Sunderland bellend ??

JCs cafe is where the Butcher's was. I thought it might have had a name change but aye I know who you mean. Is the burger place in that same complex?
I’m wondering if it’s the industrial estate further up Portsmouth road .

Merrils left around 10-12 years ago. The daughter then went to work somewhere and i'm 90% sure it was the Downeys.
Really?
Mind does play tricks, anyway it's awful now
Only been twice in, last time 2 year ago, thought it may be a one off 1st time, 2nd time worse (fish and chips)
The Merrils will be turning in their grave

Really?
Mind does play tricks, anyway it's awful now
Only been twice in, last time 2 year ago, thought it may be a one off 1st time, 2nd time worse (fish and chips)
The Merrils will be turning in their grave
The new people did take over and then a couple of years later put the pizzas and kebabs in. I have heard it’s rubbish.
the daughter of Merrill was an advisor to Downeys I think but also think she may have worked at Minchellas for a while.

Fish and chips - Merril's because it's close
Indian - Used to love Chester Tandoori before it closed and became the chicken place. It reopened but it wasn't the same. Been using Ruchi on Hylton Road lately.
Chinese - Fountain Garden, haven't had it for a canny while now though. Was brilliant the way you'd ring an order in, they'd tell you 20 minutes, so you go for that time and they start making it when you get there. Nee point ringing :lol:
Pizza - Don't think there are any consistently good pizza places around right now. I'm still mourning Divinos in town.

Years ago we ordered food from Chester Tandoori, we were about five minutes walk away but I think I had a canny hangover and couldn't be arsed going. Was properly put to shame when the big round bloke who would usually be behind the counter delivered it having walked up from the shop. Worse still he recognised me from how often we were in :lol:
Thanks to a lad on here I’ve found that the bloke who had Divino in the town now has pizza grande, in Lambton. Had a run through to pick some bait up last week, only a 10 minute minute drive (sr3) superb. Exactly the same as before, made my week it did!

Anyway in keeping with the thread,

Fish and chips- not often I have them but usually catch 22 over the sea front

Pizza - was Roma in town but went a bit naff lately so defo pizza grande now.

Kebab - fel fel still the undisputed champions in this sphere.

Indians - not my cup of tea unfortunately

Chinese - aisiana or fountain garden

Last edited:

Back