Sunderland Scuba Centre

I did a PADI open water diving qual about 25 years ago. Went to Stoney Cove in Leicestershire in the middle of February to do the actual open water part where we went down to nine metres.
Even though we all wore drysuits and woolly bears I honestly thought my face was going to freeze off when we did the mask removal drills. A completely different experience to the ‘try dive’ Mrs K and me did in Ibiza six months earlier.
Upshot is that after I got out of the water and was given my open water diving certificate I’ve never worn scuba gear again. All in all a complete waste of money.

Dive Centre in Boldon they have their own pool and dive tank.

cheers mate, ill have a look at them both my mrs is gonna think am going through a midlife crisis when i start doing this it was only last week i ordered a kayak
I did a PADI open water diving qual about 25 years ago. Went to Stoney Cove in Leicestershire in the middle of February to do the actual open water part where we went down to nine metres.
Even though we all wore drysuits and woolly bears I honestly thought my face was going to freeze off when we did the mask removal drills. A completely different experience to the ‘try dive’ Mrs K and me did in Ibiza six months earlier.
Upshot is that after I got out of the water and was given my open water diving certificate I’ve never worn scuba gear again. All in all a complete waste of money.

just never fancied doing it again?
Warm clean water usually means you share it with things that may eat you

well i swam with whale sharks in cancun and those fookers could of swallowed a small car mind they are not meat eaters the little fannies
Warm clean water usually means you share it with things that may eat you

still could of knacked the fooker

Logon or register to see this image

Last edited:
cheers mate, ill have a look at them both my mrs is gonna think am going through a midlife crisis when i start doing this it was only last week i ordered a kayak

Not really. The first part was done in a pool so warm(ish). Maybe things might have been better if I did it in the warmer months.
It also didn’t help that after the last pool session I got a pretty shitty chest infection coughing up green stuff, which I most likely caught from using the shared scuba gear from the dive school. So two weeks later when we went to Stoney Cove my resilience probably wasn’t at its best. Still, not to be beaten and more so because I’m d paid for the course I went through with it.

i was being abit sarcastic marra my memories of the north sea when i grew up in blackhall and playing down the beach was cold water that looked like ti was constantly churning up shite
aye fair do's. North Sea is very different these days mind. I mean its still freezing, but its a lot cleaner, apart from the unbelievable volume of plastic bottles

well i swam with whale sharks in cancun and those fookers could of swallowed a small car mind they are not meat eaters the little fannies

still could of knacked the fooker

Logon or register to see this image
Although Mrs K and me are going up to Ningaloo in the spring to swim with the whale sharks there.

aye fair do's. North Sea is very different these days mind. I mean its still freezing, but its a lot cleaner, apart from the unbelievable volume of plastic bottles

aye even crimdon now is canny nice to when i was early teens it had gone to shit but since parkdean has had it looks decent and they seem to have cleared the beach

Back