Sunderland Railway Station - again

Perhaps Sunderland should opt for having it’s own mayor (not the ceremonial kind but the type that actually had some power).
They could perhaps then push for Sunderland to be added on to the CrossCountry and TPE franchises and for Northern services to be boosted. (Rail franchises operate on a cross-subsidy basis, with popular services/routes supporting ones which couldn’t be operated commercially). I doubt Nexus will do it for Sunderland.
That would support businesses in the city centre and bring useful support to the development of the Riverside Quarter as they attempt to attract more businesses/development.

the existing civic centre site should be the new station when they move into the vaux site building
I’ve always thought this. The line splits into different directions near the civic centre car park so it would make a great place for a station with space and more platforms.

Middlesbrough did go down the elected mayor route and an economic partnership and, no matter what we may think of those structures, the Tory government attached money to it.

I’ve always thought this. The line splits into different directions near the civic centre car park so it would make a great place for a station with space and more platforms.

Middlesbrough did go down the elected mayor route and an economic partnership and, no matter what we may think of those structures, the Tory government attached money to it.

it originally was there, just up from Yates there's a blue plaque on the wall to mark its site

Money for new Middlesbrough station design after cash pledge

"A masterplan to develop the historic Middlesbrough Railway Station into a destination fit for a city."

So the town that is the Boro get's a railway station fit for a a city but the city that is Sunderland gets a railway station fit for well...... I despair, I really do.

The Teesside Mayor Ben Houchen (nice enough bloke) seems to be getting stuff done but as he is conservative the locals around here would have him ran out of town.

Smoggys have been waiting for decades for this to happen

Tell you something it won't happen in my lifetime

Sunderland station is a palace compared to the mutants station

The reason why this is happening is because the government is withholding funds from the Combined North East Authority (Gateshead, South Tyneside, Sunderland, Durham County Council) for transport infrastructure in order to force us towards greater local devolution.

So there is a bias towards the North of Tyne and Teeside Mayoral authorities in terms of funding.

As you can see on this thread, there are fears about Sunderland being dominated by Newcastle who are the preferential choice. We have had a lot of things go against us, but isolation is not the answer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Middlesbrough is a larger station as it sits at the junction of two lines. It gets far more passengers than Sunderland which is merely a station on a branch line.

I'd also assume it's much easier and cheaper to develop a surface level station than one buried underground.

Sunderland station is further complicated by the fact it had shops built on top of it. It really is a nightmare to redevelop and would cost a fortune.
Further complicated by the council not owning the station and network rail or whoever it is that does not giving a shit.

The reason why this is happening is because the government is withholding funds from the Combined North East Authority (Gateshead, South Tyneside, Sunderland, Durham County Council) for transport infrastructure in order to force us towards greater local devolution.

So there is a bias towards the North of Tyne and Teeside Mayoral authorities in terms of funding.

As you can see on this thread, there are fears about Sunderland being dominated by Newcastle who are the preferential choice. We have had a lot of things go against us, but isolation is not the answer.

One mans ‘withholding’ is another man’s ‘incentivising’. Whatever, there are greater funding options available from central government if Sunderland moved towards an alternative local government structure. I don’t think the current local government structure has been particularly effective at supporting the development of the city. (Not that’s it’s been awful - there have been some positives - but it’s not been a resounding success).
Who argued against an alternative local government structure? Ah yes, those in place as part of the existing local government structure.

One mans ‘withholding’ is another man’s ‘incentivising’. Whatever, there are greater funding options available from central government if Sunderland moved towards an alternative local government structure. I don’t think the current local government structure has been particularly effective at supporting the development of the city. (Not that’s it’s been awful - there have been some positives - but it’s not been a resounding success).
Who argued against an alternative local government structure? Ah yes, those in place as part of the existing local government structure.

I agree, it's like a "Little Sunderland" mentality. I absolutely want to fight for Sunderland and see the city move forwards, but part of the problem is the pessimistic culture dominant in the area. We are defeatist, negative and apathetic.

The policy of trying "kick against the pricks" by attempting to compete outright with Newcastle hasn't worked.

Sunderland train station is now just an interchange point on the metro line since we have become a suburb of Newcastle.
We are losing our identity etc year on year As “Sunderland “ at an alarming rate.
That really pains me to say as i love the town but that’s the cold hard facts.
Some truth in that marra - I had not given that a thought.

Back