Sunderland People

Exactly local councils have been butchered with cuts by this Tory government a lot of jobs have been lost at Sunderland city council.

The wrong jobs ie front line have been lost. The non jobs always seem to survive.

Probably because the non jobbers are making the decisions.

Turkeys / Christmas.

Better obviously , and why compare a town the size of sunderland to shiremoor? Compare it to newcastle man dopey
Correct, who the hell is interested in an allotment like Shiremoor... :lol: and that's where you belong, not Newcastle, Shire,,f***ing,,,moor...🤭 ah ah ah, how utterly depressing for you.

Shirem:lol::lol:r
Better obviously , and why compare a town the size of sunderland to shiremoor? Compare it to newcastle man dopey

Newcastle should be compared to the likes of Manchester and Liverpool given what it is and the investment it has had. It comes third in that list.

Last edited:
Houses mainly but with those are industrial areas.
Our geography is different to up there as we have lots of villages and our main urban areas are nowhere near the size of up there but most villages have had recently had new houses and places like St Austell ( our biggest town) has nearly doubled its size.
Now, I don’t think there’s been nearly enough infrastructure ( schools, surgeries, hospitals) but people need feeding and entertainment and there’s very little unemployment so something is going in the right direction.
The farmers struggling with prices ( National problem) but there’s lots of work still in agriculture, fisheries and logistics.
Who is buying the houses though? I'm sure there was a BBC article not so long ago in which local people were complaining they couldn't afford housing. Is it people retiring down there? Nothing wrong with that as it's a lovely part of the world and retirees usually have a fair bit of disposable income but it's a different kind of economy.

Parked up at the bottom of Roker Avenue, walked along the river to southwick and back, nice walk with a lot of reminders of our industrial past, the city centre is a bit shit but there is more to the place than that, great beach/seafront and some great parks to walk in, and I have been to a lot more worse places.

Who is buying the houses though? I'm sure there was a BBC article not so long ago in which local people were complaining they couldn't afford housing. Is it people retiring down there? Nothing wrong with that as it's a lovely part of the world and retirees usually have a fair bit of disposable income but it's a different kind of economy.
Bit of everything. First time buyers, people moving down, investment and people moving to more affordable areas of the county.
Recently, the council made developing areas easier but insisted on >50% affordable ( either rented or 60% of market value) which helps the economy in lots of ways.
We are still a poor county but it’s not as bad as nearly 20yrs ago when we moved here

One of the biggest problems Sunderland has got is the likes of the OP and his numb friends who moan at absolutely everything that happens in Sunderland. They are the cause of the negativity. They do absolutely nothing positive for the city just drag it down all the time and spread their message of gloom.
I'd move if I hated the area I lived in. Must be shit.

Never recovered from the shipyard's closing as an industry base, and local government putting 90% if local funding into one 'hub' doesn't help either.

Wonder how often young @johnna gets to experience the delights of Newcastle city centre what with it being just a stone's throw away there. Bet he's never away from the place.

Back