Sunderland people everyone or most people knew off?

Once saw Jimmy J walking along at Roker near Bungalow Cafe with his Todger handing out ......put me off me morning sausage bap.

Gordon Bucket , Jimmy Barnes , Spuggy Purvis, Des the Rasta , The Spectre, Sammy the Chin, The Bear.

Spuggy chased me when i was 5.

I shouted "Spuggy is a nugget head" in the tune of "belly gonna get ya" trying to impress my uncle and his mates. Bastards left me on a wall stuck wearing a replica fireman hat

The was a bloke who used to dress like a cowboy up red house when i was growing up, can't remember his name.

Think he ended up getting outed as a nonce but could be wrong.

shane or something? Used to sign on and give his occupation as “cowboy?”

or a meringue
Only a few may recall this but my dad had me laughing the other day. He said at Sandhill View/Thorney Close Comp in the early 1970s there was a teacher there with a dodgy limp that made him go up and down when he walked - they used to call “Bouncing Arthur”

Last edited:
Cliff Maidment.

Always seen walking / jogging along the sea front in shorts, vest top and a headband with his name on the back of his top.

Been dead about 20 years now. A young lad punched him and he fell, hit his head on the ground and died.

Is that the one who had his turps in a wine glass and used to toast buses as they went past? :lol:

Is that not the same bloke as Billy the drunk from TEF? Someone bought him a Yorkshire terrier to see if it would make him more responsible but he got drunk, tripped over the dog and fell down the stairs... Billy the dead!
:lol:

Shane lived at TEF as well I think, he was fiddling on with 13 and 14 year old girls. Someone broke his legs.

Billy lived in cheltenham road in hylton castle for years,aye he fell down the stairs
Pain in the arse Billy was at the shops when pissed on his Special Brew 8:30 in the morning!😂 He used to play for Preston when he was younger u know. Used to carry a black n white picture in his inside pocket in his Preston strip.

Shane the cowboy. Uaed to walk down Hylton Castle with his guitar.

always used to get on about pat jennings

Cliff Maidment.

Always seen walking / jogging along the sea front in shorts, vest top and a headband with his name on the back of his top.

Been dead about 20 years now. A young lad punched him and he fell, hit his head on the ground and died.
Arseholes!:evil:
He used to get in fifth avenue years ago in the same get-up.

Who was the bloke who (unsuccessfully, it was a cracking pub upstairs before he transformed it into what it is now) ran the Blandford in the '80s? Was always out of his mind on something or other. He said to me once "I hate the Irish but I would never kill one of them" :eek:

Absolute legend him like :lol::lol:
Used to live on the bank up from the shipwrights
Billy lived in cheltenham road in hylton castle for years,aye he fell down the stairs

always used to get on about pat jennings
Billy was a **** at times pretending he was going to kick bairns and that.
Remember him lay in the rd on purpose to stop the buses etc.

Last edited:

Back