Sunderland named one of best UK cities to start a business

never understood why businesses don't come here. Educated and cheap workforce. Cheap quality housing, great environment. Staff retention will be high. Plenty of graduates would jump at the chance to come home.
Need better infrastructure to start with, new bridge is a start, but better train station would be a start.

New hotels popping up in the city will also help. We’re on the turn that’s for sure, let’s hope the Vaux site isn’t a wasted opportunity.

Really hope it does come good as I’d love my kids to grow up in this city, and work and live here as adults.

Speaking from experience, there's a load of help out there for start ups. You may need to bang on doors and ask questions but it's very much worth it.

I started a business in Sunderland 4 years ago having previously had one in Gateshead. The business rate relief is a massive help. It was nearly £8k on Team Valley. Zero here. Rent is also a 3rd of team valley too. Barclays have been shite like.

I started a business in Sunderland 4 years ago having previously had one in Gateshead. The business rate relief is a massive help. It was nearly £8k on Team Valley. Zero here. Rent is also a 3rd of team valley too. Barclays have been shite like.
Hold on, so rent and business rates are good in Sunderland compared to elsewhere?

Yep. Fantastic.

Edit...guess it depends on the business and location.
Obviously, but it’s refreshing to hear because all I see with discussions like this is that business are being priced out because of rent, rates etc.

May have more to do with actual city centres though, which I presume you aren’t in as moving from a unit on team valley?

Back