Sunderland MP talks about her weight battle

She appears to have made no attempt whatsoever to lose any weight despite it leading to high blood pressure and type 2 diabetes. As I assume she is an intelligent woman she's a very poor example to anyone.

They're obsessed with weighing and measuring BMI at the hospital. I once got weighed and my BMI puts me in the overweight category (25-30). The nurse who measured me was twice the size of me and asked if I had thought about being more active. I'd just ran a 10K the previous weekend and asked if that counted. She laughed and said "eeeeh I couldn't run to the end of our street!" No wonder people can't take advice about healthy lifestyle seriously if the people giving out the said advice are overweight and inactive.

Sedentary lifestyles though. We are one of the laziest countries in the world.

Not neccesarily gonna add to the weight problem if you adjust your calorie intake.

I'm on a diet at the minute eating only 200g of protein and low calorie vegetables, about 1000kcals a day. I weigh 15 stone probably about 20% body fat, so not in a terrible condition, but it could and will be better.

They're obsessed with weighing and measuring BMI at the hospital. I once got weighed and my BMI puts me in the overweight category (25-30). The nurse who measured me was twice the size of me and asked if I had thought about being more active. I'd just ran a 10K the previous weekend and asked if that counted. She laughed and said "eeeeh I couldn't run to the end of our street!" No wonder people can't take advice about healthy lifestyle seriously if the people giving out the said advice are overweight and inactive.

BMI is rubbish.

Last edited:
Not neccesarily gonna add to the weight problem if you adjust your calorie intake.

I'm on a diet at the minute eating only 200g of protein and low calorie vegetables, about 1000kcals a day. I weigh 15 stone probably about 20% body fat, so not in a terrible condition, but it could and will be better.

BMI is rubbish.

BMI is not a great measurement.
There are many other factors that should be used in conjunction with a simple height versus weight.

Like a lot of people of a certain age she's trying to help kids not make the same mistakes she has made, a do as I say not as I do kind of person.

Is 'pre-diabetic' an actual thing or is it just a polite way of the doctor telling her she's really fat?
It's genuine, the can spot the onset of the disease and they'll warn you. You can reverse it if you act appropriately early enough.

Last edited:
and obesity in kids without mentioning losing a single pound herself, eating less or more healthily or doing any exercise.

She's an obese type 2 diabetic who is shadow public health. I am missing something here or is she really just a bit of a joke?

Sunderland MP Sharon Hodgson talks candidly about her own weight battles and warns that obese children are ‘ticking timebombs’
A fat mess.

After being told numerous times by the doctor to lose weight, knowingly having high blood pressure, she was shocked when diagnosed?
:lol:

Yeah, weight doesn't sneak up on you. When she got to say 15 stone she might have thought that was a bit big for someone who is 5'2.....

Last edited:
It's pretty simple. Nowadays it's so easy to have a low calorie, high protein diet that tastes nice. There's really no excuse.
This is true
I've fluctuated around the 17 st mark for the last 20 odd year. I'm 6ft1 BTW.
Until the beginning of December when I realised I looked and felt terrible about my shape and weight. I realised I must have been comfort eating & drinking since I lost my parents

Was sat in the house on a Thursday night 2 weeks before Christmas and looked on my ipad for the nearest Slimming World class. There was one that night in Carrville so I went along and joined. I was 18 clem at the weigh in.
Another 2lb loss next week and that will be 2 stone off since then

I have found it really easy to be honest I could have probably done it in my own just not eating chocolate, cakes, biscuits etc
I hope to get below 15st before Easter.
I've started running and everything

Like folk say there's no excuse for not being able to lose weight unless you have some medical condition which prevents you.

Back