Sunderland-Leeds rivalry

• Thread starter Deleted member 48628
  • Start date
Having lived in West Yorkshire from 2008 for 4 years and having met a fair few Leeds season ticket holders we certainly aren't their favourite club either... the older ones in particular are still bitter as fuck about 73

My 3rd least favourite club behind the mag and boro. Although I guess support born from say the late 90s onwards probably are indifferent to one another, might rekindle some of the rivalry it we we're ever in a promotion battle with them.

I have also found this with every Leeds fan I have encountered. They always change when you mention the 73 cup final, obviously still very bitter about it.

Having lived in West Yorkshire from 2008 for 4 years and having met a fair few Leeds season ticket holders we certainly aren't their favourite club either... the older ones in particular are still bitter as fuck about 73

My 3rd least favourite club behind the mag and boro. Although I guess support born from say the late 90s onwards probably are indifferent to one another, might rekindle some of the rivalry it we we're ever in a promotion battle with them.

Was in Kos last summer.
Leeds fan in his late 60s / early 70s there with his wife and we got talking. He was bitter as fuck about 73. Said we were dead lucky, outplayed etc etc. Thought he was on a wind up at first. He then said to cap his day off, his car broke down in pissing rain on the M1. I cudnt help but laugh which did not amuse him.
I think he was a bit of a boyo back in late 60s as he claimed that he was part of large group of Leeds fans that took in his words,"the covered end" (obvly the FE) at Sunderland in a midweek League cup tie in 67 ? Any veteran on here recall this ?

Got to be of a certain age I suppose. Those of our lot who I've been around with for years hate them for sure, for all the reasons mentioned on here. I've been to Elland Road quite a few times, not just to see Sunderland, and there's always trouble, mostly because everybody hates Leeds and Leeds hate everybody. They're a right set of arrogant, belligerent, argumentative so and so's and that includes most of them who live there, not just the football fans. Nasty.

Started going to Elland Road 76/77 and including that day, most visits there have always involved frisk. The early 80s was nuts. One game, might have been 81 (lost one nil) we were in the side paddock before that huge West stand was built. Lowfields Road. As the side filled up rapidly, Safc fans climbed in to the paddock above and started moving along it clearing Leeds fans as they went. Thousands down that day even tho we were near the bottom and struggling.

Started going to Elland Road 76/77 and including that day, most visits there have always involved frisk. The early 80s was nuts. One game, might have been 81 (lost one nil) we were in the side paddock before that huge West stand was built. Lowfields Road. As the side filled up rapidly, Safc fans climbed in to the paddock above and started moving along it clearing Leeds fans as they went. Thousands down that day even tho we were near the bottom and struggling.
Class
Late 40s, dont get me wrong, I've heard the chants, but people are going on like it was sone proper rivalry , full of hatred, never really saw it like that.
Not what I saw .

I hte the fuckers .

up there with boro

I remember reading ALS about 20 years ago, they interviewed a Leeds fan before our match with them.
They asked him about the rivalry between the 2 clubs.
He said that their biggest rivalry was Man Utd ( Lancs/York's etc), but I remember him saying that out of the 3 NE clubs it's definitely you lot that we dislike (can't remember if he said hate or not) the most.

I was on a Greek island 10 years after the Cup Final when an extremely drunk and aggressive Leeds fan found out that I was a Sunderland fan.
He wasn't too happy when I told him that "They couldn't play football".
He took a swing at me, missed and fell over, I never even touched him.
I told him " You can't fight either" and just walked away laughing at him lying on the floor.

I remember reading ALS about 20 years ago, they interviewed a Leeds fan before our match with them.
They asked him about the rivalry between the 2 clubs.
He said that their biggest rivalry was Man Utd ( Lancs/York's etc), but I remember him saying that out of the 3 NE clubs it's definitely you lot that we dislike (can't remember if he said hate or not) the most.

I was on a Greek island 10 years after the Cup Final when an extremely drunk and aggressive Leeds fan found out that I was a Sunderland fan.
He wasn't too happy when I told him that "They couldn't play football".
He took a swing at me, missed and fell over, I never even touched him.
I told him " You can't fight either" and just walked away laughing at him lying on the floor.

Preacher from 'Pale Rider' couldn't have handled it any cooler.

Brought up to know them as dirty Leeds, my Dad hated them with a passion and we did have a huge rivalry with them before my match going time. What I will say is I respect Leeds, they are a proper football club.
We are having our Leeds moment right now, they got out of this shit league at the 3rd attempt iirc, please let us escape this season.

Was in Kos last summer.
Leeds fan in his late 60s / early 70s there with his wife and we got talking. He was bitter as fuck about 73. Said we were dead lucky, outplayed etc etc. Thought he was on a wind up at first. He then said to cap his day off, his car broke down in pissing rain on the M1. I cudnt help but laugh which did not amuse him.
I think he was a bit of a boyo back in late 60s as he claimed that he was part of large group of Leeds fans that took in his words,"the covered end" (obvly the FE) at Sunderland in a midweek League cup tie in 67 ? Any veteran on here recall this ?
My dad took me. The League Cup was relatively low key then with the previous season having seen the first ever Wembley final ; Third Division QPR, with Rodney Marsh, beating WBA.
There would be about 30000 at Roker the norm for league games in that era.
I sat in the lower enclosure Main Stand seats.
I still recall the loud booing and heckling when Leeds ran out. Newcastle then certainly did not get that treatment when they took the field in derby games.
Leeds I think won by one or two nil.
Games with Leeds in that era were always low scoring.

Aye, just like they imagine theyā€™re Man Unitedā€™s main rivals.

Well people on here are imagining we are rivals with Leeds.

Just because there was some kick off in the 70s/80s doesn't make it a rivalry. Leeds kicked off with everyone.

As hard as it is for people on here to accept, Leeds Utd don't give a shit about Sunderland.

How old are you? By the way ?

Because if your 40 plus you should hate them.
I'm in my 40's and couldn't give a toss about them. During my time supporting the lads, from late 80's, I've never heard anyone be that arsed about them. Even my uncle's, who are in their 60's, never bring any animosity up.
So why should I hate them ? Even working in Leeds, the Leeds fans I've met of all ages, have never mentioned anything.

Back