Sunderland launch all time Hall of Fame

The club get criticised for most things, but surely this must be universally praised? One thing that's always frustrated me is that there hasn't been much consideration to our history in years gone by, highlighted by the fact some lads had to start an SAFC museum on their own. Our history is a major part of what makes our club so special and I think it's great that they are doing this and giving some extra recognition to some of the important people who have represented us. We can all argue and debate about who deserves to be recognised, but no doubt there will be further events and more recognised in the months and years to come. Well done to the owners on this one, long overdue and should be a great night for all who attend

The club get criticised for most things, but surely this must be universally praised? One thing that's always frustrated me is that there hasn't been much consideration to our history in years gone by, highlighted by the fact some lads had to start an SAFC museum on their own. Our history is a major part of what makes our club so special and I think it's great that they are doing this and giving some extra recognition to some of the important people who have represented us. We can all argue and debate about who deserves to be recognised, but no doubt there will be further events and more recognised in the months and years to come. Well done to the owners on this one, long overdue and should be a great night for all who attend

An uncharacteristically rash assumption for a man of your experience, Guinness, la....

I think it's a really good thing, However can I add that not every player who I would describe as a legend at the club has to been seen as a top player. Joe Bolton was my favourite player for Sunderland (and still is) I could relate to him as another north-eastern lad growing up, for me he was everything that Sunderland football club and supporters were all about, He never gave in and always gave his best for the club...

Last edited:
I think it's a really good thing, However can I add that not every player who I would describe as a legend at the club has to been seen as a top player. Joe Bolton was my favourite player for Sunderland (and still is) I could relate to him as another north-eastern lad growing up, for me he was everything that Sunderland football club and supporters were all about, He never gave in and always gave his best for the club...
I agree with this. Many related to Joe Bolton. Even though I take the Mickey out of his radio commentary/summarising, Gary Bennett was one of my favourites, for similar reasons. There are one or two others I can think of anarl.

Its a great idea but everything is just monetized to the max at minute!
well how else can they do a dinner to launch it except to charge? and yes everything i monetized..more moeny is the only way to get more players-because the rules are calculated as a percentage of turnover..and safc is a business that has lost £213m over the past decade..moeny is kinda useful!

Its a great idea but everything is just monetized to the max at minute!
We have to charge something but £75 is a bit steep. The same with the trip to Portugal. £1750 for 3 days in Portugal to watch us play! Last summer I got to Salou for 10 days all inclusive for 4 people with a trip to the Nou Camp to see Barca v Athletic Bilbao and a 2 day pass to Portaventura for that price.:lol:

We have to charge something but £75 is a bit steep. The same with the trip to Portugal. £1750 for 3 days in Portugal to watch us play! Last summer I got to Salou for 10 days all inclusive for 4 people with a trip to the Nou Camp to see Barca v Athletic Bilbao and a 2 day pass to Portaventura for that price.:lol:
£75 isnt expensive.
when you went to salou was it a VIP package or more basic-cos the SAFC thing is a corporate offer.

Initial 11 members to be unveiled. Dozens to choose from
Hall of Fame dinner

Logon or register to see this image

Most of our glory days were pre-war. For post-war I'd go for Shack, Charlie, Monty and a couple from Clough, Kerr, Ball, Quinn or Phillips

I love this. Because they are announcing 11 to start with, do we think there will be one from every position to make up our best all-time team (traditional 4-4-2). Then every year thereafter there will be 3-5 nominees on a short list and 2 new inductions each season.

Back