BBC Sunderland: Jack Ross on Netflix, promotion & his legacy

This seems like such an obvious change, Ozturk was excellent when he came in at the end of last season but for whenever reason has been binned again by Ross.

Another one many strange decisions.
How memories fade.
He was far from excellent and always looked like a red card waiting to happen. He WAS however, better than Flanagan and Baldwin at season's end

Last edited:

Ozturk, apart from a couple of games, was just a terrible as Flanagan. And Baldwin was the biggest disaster of the first half of last season. I think we need to rack through our short term memory boxes and pull out the truths from last season and stop rewriting history. They were all equally as piss poor, indeed it was pretty much unanimously agreed on here that Flanagan was the best of a bad bunch. I’m not defending him or saying that he’s anything special, but I do believe he’s less crap than the other options we have and we should be careful what we wish for

As someone who's early days supporting the lads saw me watching Hurley, Watson and Todd I could cry at the buffoons we currently have masquerading as centre halves.

As someone who's early days supporting the lads saw me watching Hurley, Watson and Todd I could cry at the buffoons we currently have masquerading as centre halves.

I agree. It’s akin to the goalkeeper problem we had in the championship. We’ve never had poor centre halves or goalkeepers, ever! I do however think the issue is the training and management as Baldwin was league one player of the year not long back, Flanagan was twice Burton player of the year, Willis was fantastic last season and in team of the year, Ozturk was fantastic at SPL level, even Loovens played first team for Sheff Wed in the league above two seasons ago. Yet they all look like complete donkeys for us

I have no dislike for Ross, I do think he’s tried his best, but with that he’s taken us as far as he’s capable.

The correct thing would’ve been to part ways after the Play Off Final. All parties are now in the unfortunate situation of Ross having exhausted his welcome and it will end acrimoniously.

How memories fade.
He was far from excellent and always looked like a red card waiting to happen. He WAS however, better than Flanagan and Baldwin at season's end

Nope my memory hasn't faded, I'm fully aware Ozturk was poor when paired with Loovens at the start of last season and was binned by Ross until he was desperate.

No one can argue that Ozturk made a huge difference to our defence when he came back in. He is a far better centre half than Flanagan and should be ahead of him on the team sheet every single time.

For me his legacy would be "afraid to win games".

May as well get the sack, which you will at some point going for the throat rather than trying to eek out 1-0's and drawing 1-1. Need big bollocks to manage here, the fans are onside with every manager but you need to get into them, it's as simple as that.

You need to build the "buzz", once that's in place the rest just happens and we steamroller onwards. He almost got it right early last season, just go for it Jack lad, nowt to lose now.

Last edited:
I agree. It’s akin to the goalkeeper problem we had in the championship. We’ve never had poor centre halves or goalkeepers, ever! I do however think the issue is the training and management as Baldwin was league one player of the year not long back, Flanagan was twice Burton player of the year, Willis was fantastic last season and in team of the year, Ozturk was fantastic at SPL level, even Loovens played first team for Sheff Wed in the league above two seasons ago. Yet they all look like complete donkeys for us
Oh dear.
Hesford , McDonagh, Wright
Hetzke, McShane, Bramble., Lescott

That's without even trying.

Last edited:

Good points marra. It brings us back to the debate as to whether we're signing poor players or whether we just have a poor manager who isn't organising them correctly and getting the best out of them. When you also factor in underperforming strikers with a good record at this level it starts to suggest that the manager and not the players may be the issue.

Nail on head - the problems further up the food chain.

Oh dear.
Hesford , McDonagh, Wright
Hetzke, McShane, Bramble., Lescott

That's without even trying.

Bramble was part of a defence with turner that conceded 8 in 16, including 11 clean sheets, under Bruce. He was far from a poor defender for us. Most of the rest of that list, like lescott, were neither first choice or towards the twilight of their career. Also it’s a rather select list, and we’ve had a lot better defenders than we’ve had poor ones - first choice options.

Back