Sunderland In Europe?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll be there come hell or high water.

Its ok going to Belgium for pre season friendlys and that but this would be the real mccoy

Me and my lot would be there.

i think there would be thousands and thousands that would go if we got a draw somewhere decent. Venice or Prague perhaps.

Oh yes please:lol:

Well getting a bit pissed off with the people spending money at the pub watching the game and watching live streams instead of getting to the match these people will be the first wanting tickets if we get into Europe.The only excuse for not being at the match is lack of money.

Since when did you need an excuse to not attend a football match? It is a free country. I am happy for people to come to the match whenever they want.

I was at Lisbon.Two planes went over ;one jet and one prop job.Most of us lounged around the main street because drinking at all hours outside a cafe was totally alien to us English back then.Made for some right f***ing drunks.Remember a couple of chestnut carts being turned over on the walk up to the ground.Young locals begging every step of the way.Match itself was shite as we just didn't turn up as ateam and tuearts performance was woeful.
90% of supporters would not be allowed back on the plane nowadays as totally smashed but HEY! What a day.

Could not go to the 1st one in Budapest because my Dad worked at ROF at Birtley and communist bloc was off limits because of cold war.....weird eh!

Impressive stuff mate. Hope you can make the next trip whenever that may happen.

I remember listening to the radio as we went out of Europe 2-0 in Lisbon.

Last edited:
not sure about the economics of the Europa League ...

presumably we'd go in 3rd qualifying round as Liverpool did this year so first tie end July / early August , then another knockout round then six games in the dodgy little league so minimally 10 extra games. Now we never play many more than 40 games a season so presumably we'd need to boost the squad by say 4/5 new potential starters ? I think the home ties would be Carling Cup prices ( Fulham's are ) so it's big ask for Ellis :)

Since when did you need an excuse to not attend a football match? It is a free country. I am happy for people to come to the match whenever they want.

Change the record man ffs, the lad is just wanting people to attend to help the club.
Clever-shite statements like this really are pathetic

Change the record man ffs, the lad is just wanting people to attend to help the club.

Nearly as pathetic as the daft-shite assumption that people have nothing in their lives more important than football.

Do we have to go through this constantly? Some people go, some don't. Of those that don't an overwhelming proportion will have done more than their fair share on the terraces of Roker Park.

I think it was Iceman in one of his threads about the Q and A sessions with Quinny that said someone asked Niall if he would ever fulfill his lifetimes ambition of being able to go to Europe and throw white plastics chairs and be squirted by water cannons.
Halfway there mate and proof you're not a student ;)
I remember that quote, Quinny and Bruce just laughed as well.

A great quote, and I have used it since I think, or certainly re-told the quote

I get the distinct impression, right or wrong, that the first game we play in Europe, competitively since 1974, would be an old timers reunion.

I reckon its an over 40's party with the hosts in for a bit of a shock.

Must say and personally I'd be over in a shot; chartered flight, no ticket and generally "enjoying" the hospitality.

Any thoughts on what it would be like - other than fecking mayhem? :lol:

why do you get that impression MBH ?

Knowing Sunderland's luck we 'd draw someone from Kazakstan and get ko'd before getting the chance to go to Belguim/Holland/Spain/France/Italy/Portugal:lol:

I'm 42. I've waited my whole life to watch Sunderland play a competitive game in Europe having been too young in 73, and been on a number of pre-season tours abroad. Wherever our first game is in Europe, whenever it is, however much it costs, I'll be there. Might sound sad, but it's like an unfulfilled dream for me!

After the first one? Then we'll have to see.

As a youngster all I wanted to do was see the lads at Wembley. I was just a bairn in 73.

Having since done that 4 times, my next wet dream is Europe.

Agree with those who say that It would be a massive turn-out. Just too good to miss, no matter where it was.

Am still only dreaming about it.... still think the League cup wouldve been our best bet.

When the lad grows up and realises that people have lives and committments he will realise how stupid he sounds. Same for you as well by the sound of it.

Many of those who don't go all the time now will probably have been all over the place in the past, following some of the worst teams in Sunderland's history.

When the lad grows up and realises that people have lives and committments he will realise how stupid he sounds. Same for you as well by the sound of it.

Many of those who don't go all the time now will probably have been all over the place in the past, following some of the worst teams in Sunderland's history.

The lad is 35 and has two kids and commitments,just think its a shame we have a chairman who has given us everything we wanted,then I read people being smug on here about not going to the match and watching at the pub,and they will be the first wanting tickets if we got in europe.I dont go to many away games and take my two kids to every home game and I wouldnt want to go to any games in europe ahead of any one who goes that bit extra to go home and away.But i will choose to miss xmas work nights out ect to take the kids to the match and will save money else where to watch safc cause thats how Ive been brought up.Right or wrong its called loving your team and following them through thick and thin and if it means wearing 3 layers of clothes to sit in the freezing like yesterday I will do it.
My dad is a person who has gone for 50 years and misses the odd game and watches on sky if he cant afford to go,but some people are just happy to keep there money and watch on sky or live streams,yet will expect more signings in jan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back