Sunderland In Europe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

I think it was Iceman in one of his threads about the Q and A sessions with Quinny that said someone asked Niall if he would ever fulfill his lifetimes ambition of being able to go to Europe and throw white plastics chairs and be squirted by water cannons.
Halfway there mate and proof you're not a student ;)

I think it was Iceman in one of his threads about the Q and A sessions with Quinny that said someone asked Niall if he would ever fulfill his lifetimes ambition of being able to go to Europe and throw white plastics chairs and be squirted by water cannons.
Halfway there mate and proof you're not a student ;)

I think people will be surprised how many would go especially exiles:cool:

Clearly all these old timers that think we were last in europe in 1974 clearly missed Auf Weidersehen Pet in 1983 :)

Achieved yes, but the lad was being a smart arse in saying, I assume, that we wont be playing in it -obviously we wont - we didnt fecking qualify!

i was a being the smart arse? read back, i obviously meant we will qualify for europe, but it might not be this season, simple enough comment i would have thought.

Hardest part of getting into the Europa league is qualifying for it. The teams in it are utter wank.

Would be crammed with people who have never been over for years, getting interviewed saying this is what we've been waiting for:oops:

7000 at Juve v Man City the other night. Truth is the Europa League is not a money-maker at all. But prestige-wise of course it would be good for the club.
And it would get a monkey off our back.

It would interesting to see how many we would take to a game in Italy or Spain.

Anyone know anyone who went to Budapest or Lisbon in 1973?

I was at Lisbon.Two planes went over ;one jet and one prop job.Most of us lounged around the main street because drinking at all hours outside a cafe was totally alien to us English back then.Made for some right f***ing drunks.Remember a couple of chestnut carts being turned over on the walk up to the ground.Young locals begging every step of the way.Match itself was shite as we just didn't turn up as ateam and tuearts performance was woeful.
90% of supporters would not be allowed back on the plane nowadays as totally smashed but HEY! What a day.

Could not go to the 1st one in Budapest because my Dad worked at ROF at Birtley and communist bloc was off limits because of cold war.....weird eh!

I really think even 6th place is for the taking Liverpool under Woy will not finish top 6 imo, Villa and Everton are having poor seasons. We have the best chance in years and for a few years to come to get a European place, but knowing our luck teams from outside the top 7 will win the cups.

A game in Eastern Russia would be best for me! Or one of the 'Stans. Or perhaps Greece/Turkey - imagine our lot against Galatasaray...now that would be mayhem!

A game in Eastern Russia would be best for me! Or one of the 'Stans. Or perhaps Greece/Turkey - imagine our lot against Galatasaray...now that would be mayhem!

aye, the shittier it is for the folks back home the better for us Major, Khazakstan would suit me nicely, direct flight from Dubai

I'm like the dawg though, we're miles away from it yet and we are Sunderland after all. Posa's probably started a "more Mackem Delusion" thread on Skunkers already

I was at Lisbon.Two planes went over ;one jet and one prop job.Most of us lounged around the main street because drinking at all hours outside a cafe was totally alien to us English back then.Made for some right f***ing drunks.Remember a couple of chestnut carts being turned over on the walk up to the ground.Young locals begging every step of the way.Match itself was shite as we just didn't turn up as ateam and tuearts performance was woeful.
90% of supporters would not be allowed back on the plane nowadays as totally smashed but HEY! What a day.

Could not go to the 1st one in Budapest because my Dad worked at ROF at Birtley and communist bloc was off limits because of cold war.....weird eh!

That's a relief Mal....I thought I was going to be the only one still alive who went, I actually went to Budapest , first time in Europe (and what it would be like for the current supporters) It seemed realy exciting going off to an Eastern block Country. When we arrived at the airport there were heaps of Military Police ?? Security guards ??... all with machine guns...no shit from them, poking us in the sides with the guns...quite a reality check. We stopped off at a Resturaunt and had dinner/drinks, the ground was pretty basic, concrete blocks for the stands and if I remember correctly everyone of the Vasas supporters was wearing plain grey clothes, they wanted to buy our jeans (Levis):eek: No trouble at all and all from what I recall, seemed very friendly. Plenty of us had 'butchers coats' painted up, as was the style those days. The game was a blurr but I remember Tueart (or Hughes) running down the right wing and scoring our 2nd, pretty sure it was 2-0. Afterwards we went into Budapest and the streets were deserted (curfew I think) the machine gun wielding 'Police' were on every corner, we found a Bar and went down some stairs (it was like an underground 'resistance' type of place :confused: but I guess it was just for visitors) ...there was a piano player who amaizingly played 'Bladon Races' when someone requested it :eek: ...things you remember eh

I'll be owa like a shot if we play again in the next few years... (I've been saving up for 35 years :lol:)

7000 at Juve v Man City the other night. Truth is the Europa League is not a money-maker at all. But prestige-wise of course it would be good for the club.
And it would get a monkey off our back.

It would interesting to see how many we would take to a game in Italy or Spain.

Anyone know anyone who went to Budapest or Lisbon in 1973?

Big Italian teams have notoriously low turnouts for European games, especially if its non CL. The Europa league is a money maker for many clubs, the average attendances here show that and you can add TV revenue on top of this.
Rapid Viennas average league attendance is 15k...for the Europa league its 48k.

http://www.worldfootball.net/zuschauer/europa-league-2009-2010/1/

Coming out of the ground yesterday my 17 year old said "do they usually use the points system to apply for Europe away tickets". Me and my mate laughed and said we had no idea and even he laughed when we said it was nearly 40 years since we had that problem and that it was unlikely we could have applied online.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back