Sunderland in art

I've long been familiar with Thomas Hemy's famous 1895 painting of Sunderland v Aston Villa.

I didn't realise that the famous Australian cubist, Roy de Maistre, also painted the Lads. This painting - The Footballers - is reputedly based on the 1937 Cup Final.

Logon or register to see this image

Any other noteworthy paintings - city or club - we should know about?
Seems unlikely, they are wearing the wrong colour shorts. Other than that, you could almost be there.

I've long been familiar with Thomas Hemy's famous 1895 painting of Sunderland v Aston Villa.

I didn't realise that the famous Australian cubist, Roy de Maistre, also painted the Lads. This painting - The Footballers - is reputedly based on the 1937 Cup Final.

reminds me of our current defence trying to defend a long throw in

You tube video from Sotheby’s 1913 auction in which the arty narrator mentions the 37 final. Just google artists name and “footballers”.

Nowt on artinfo.com about price at auction etc....and I’m not paying money to delve deeper!

Sotheby’s Australia say sold for $146k on 26 Nov 2013.

I wonder where it is now? Bring it home........anyone know anyone who has that sort of money ready to invest? Hmmmmm

I love Chris Cumming's stuff - only on twitter and Facebook so far though.

Back