Sunderland Hospital

Both major parties campaigned with stopping staff parking charges being one of their pledges........

Only Labour would have delivered - so far BloJob has dropped 12 of his promises and ran away from the Iran mini-crisis (his partner gave him another black-eye)... obviously a man of his word!
To anyone interested. Nhs do a free park and ride from the stadium of light and Homebase.

That’s a free park and ride. Free.

They've kept that quiet - I regularly volunteer to give lifts for oldies where even the bus stop is not within easy reach or getting on/off & exchanging buses is not feasible but these people would need to get to the SOL. Which Homebase?

Last edited:

:D
Didn't know that. Is there a timetable available

Just checked and when I went to check timetable it comes up page not found. The link that comes up is from 2013 mind . Do you know if it still runs marra?
Not sure. Our lass and the bairn reckon so. They work there but that means nowt where they concerned
Only Labour would have delivered - so far BloJob has dropped 12 of his promises and ran away from the Iran mini-crisis (his partner gave him another black-eye)... obviously a man of his word!

They've kept that quiet - I regularly volunteer to give lifts for oldies where even the bus stop is not within easy reach or getting on/off & exchanging buses is not feasible but these people would need to get to the SOL. Which Homebase?
This might of ended. I will ask the missus to check.

Last edited:
My lass is with De Kiewiet. She was born with bilateral hip displacia which was picked up too late for the pavlic harness, and she's 32 now. Hence she keeps getting the hip preservation surgery. She's just had a periacetabularosteotomy operation on December 9th because the injections stopped working (which is how I ended up with the parking fine mentioned above). I've been effectively a full time carer for her since but hopefully the that's her for a few years. De Kiewiet won't do the hip replacement until she's older.

Might mention that to Dr Dek next time. Best wishes to your partner

:D
Not sure. Our lass and the bairn reckon so. They work there but that means nowt where they concerned

This might of ended. I will ask the missus to check.
Sure the park and ride was just for staff. Believe it was introduced as a solution to staff parking in streets, didn't get used and then permit zones came in.

Will have been before the multistory so probably to try and help with capacity in the hospital too.

Last edited:
Park next to the GUM clinic. There’s somewhat of a stigma parking near there and the last area to fill up.

Good call

Years ago when I was a spotty teenager I went in there to get some Johnnies and a check up. I was told to go into the waiting area and wait for my turn. So I sat down in a room full of lasses. Was there for well over 90 minutes before someone told me the lads waiting room was next door:oops::lol:

Something to note for those visiting people in hospital several times a week, or who need to attend clinics multiple times each month. You can buy a monthly pass for Sunderland or Durham hospital car parks if you ask at reception. It is a substantial saving on normal prices. If you have a child in hospital you can also get free parking as you may be staying overnight or visiting for long periods each day.

Durham hospital is a nightmare to get parked at especially at shift changes during the afternoon and when visiting is on. Even staff who have managed to work their way up the list for a parking permit aren’t guaranteed a parking place. This is why it amuses me when people demand free parking at hospitals. You can hardly park there now when there are charges, what do you think will happen when it is free and the local shoppers and office workers park there to save money on paid car parking?

My sincere condolences Karen, I've been involved with Sunderland Royal quite a lot lately and the amount of cars parked there astounds me, God knows how many there are (it has to be in the thousands) and my Uncle informed me yesterday that staff have to pay to park, which I find scandalous if true.

Last edited by a moderator:
As others have said, sorry to hear about your loss there, Denty.

Thanks do much x
My sincere condolences Karen, I've been involved with Sunderland Royal quite a lot lately and the amount of cars parked there astounds me, God knows how many there are (it has to be in the thousands) and my Uncle informed me yesterday that staff have to pay to park, which I find scandalous if true.

thank you Lardy
Just seen this Karen, so sorry for your loss lovely lady :cry: much love and my heartfelt condolences to you and the family xxx

Thank you Barbie x

Last edited:
My late husband was in and out of Dryburn last autumn at one time we had two cars in the car park as he’d been admitted while I was at work, we must have paid a fortune in car park fees 😔

Didn't know. So sorry for your loss.

Don't know how they solve the parking issue. I guess if you're using public transport you have to plan and factor in possible delays and car drivers aren't used to this.

Back