Sunderland Hospital

I got a £70 fine for spending 33 mins in the 20 mins spot a couple of weeks ago. The other half got discharged on a Sunday night, after a hip reconstruction because they needed the bed. No help was available from hospital staff so after fannying about with producing her discharge notice, I had to try to get her out with all her personal stuff in a suitcase and her in a wheelchair. I had a week's parking pass too.

Appeal declined of course. They're absolute parasites.

I work at the QE in Gateshead and pay £17.50 a month for parking. Happy to do it but I'm a firm believer that nobody should have to pay to park at work, especially when I'm not guaranteed a space. It's also ridiculous patients have to pay for parking too.

NHS need to seriously look at the state of parking across almost every site. It's tragic.
Both major parties campaigned with stopping staff parking charges being one of their pledges........

Streets around the hospital (Chester Road side, anyway) are only parking restricted at certain times. Ours is 10-11 and then 2-3. Nee help in this case with you being there for 2, but maybe worth considering outside them times.

I work at the QE in Gateshead and pay £17.50 a month for parking. Happy to do it but I'm a firm believer that nobody should have to pay to park at work, especially when I'm not guaranteed a space. It's also ridiculous patients have to pay for parking too.

NHS need to seriously look at the state of parking across almost every site. It's tragic.
£33 a month for the bairn at the royal.

I was gonna say get a long term disability because it's worth it for the free parking, but you struggle to find any empty disabled bays at Sunderland Royal as well.

Hope your appointment goes well.

i have a blue badge, nee spaces.

Loads of f***ing premium spaces on level 6 which I believe the Doctors use!
You under Dr Dekiwiet by any chance?

No, Mr Nanu, top surgeon
Park in the Chesters and walk up? Might have to go in and order a drink to get the parking validated these days

i can’t walk mate, hip is fucked
It is beyond a joke now. Even appointments outside of visiting hours are impossible to find a space now. Had to take one of my kids to A&E a few months ago and couldn’t get parked. Left it in the 20 minute bay to take him in and was told I would have to move my car, so had to leave him there whilst I found a space. Bit ridiculous really.

i think they need to add on to the multi storey

Last edited:
believe it or not I am only 39, had my right hip done in 18, having left done on Monday, thanks for the best wishes, can’t wait to get rid of this bastard arthritis and constant pain. May I ask how old your wife is?
She's 30. They seem to be delaying giving her a hip replacement. Steroid injections is what they are doing with her at the moment twice a year. She's had a few operations as well in the last 7-10 years. Hip bursitis along with a couple of other complications. Keep in touch and let me know how you get on but interesting to note your age in terms of the fact you've have had/having replacement.

She's 30. They seem to be delaying giving her a hip replacement. Steroid injections is what they are doing with her at the moment twice a year. She's had a few operations as well in the last 7-10 years. Hip bursitis along with a couple of other complications. Keep in touch and let me know how you get on but interesting to note your age in terms of the fact you've have had/having replacement.

wow that is young

Cheaper than the Freeman currently £40 a month. Plenty of spaces at 6am or 7pm other than that it's money wasted!
Two things the Trusts should look at is parking and patient transport, wouldn't want to be the one trying though. Curing cancer may be easier!

Last edited:

My late husband was in and out of Dryburn last autumn at one time we had two cars in the car park as he’d been admitted while I was at work, we must have paid a fortune in car park fees 😔

My late husband was in and out of Dryburn last autumn at one time we had two cars in the car park as he’d been admitted while I was at work, we must have paid a fortune in car park fees 😔
Sorry for your loss. Its absolutely shocking. Think its time for a new hospital on the outskirts somewhere with enough room for ample space for for staff, patients and visitors. Take care lass.x

Back