Sunderland Hospital

believe it or not I am only 39, had my right hip done in 18, having left done on Monday, thanks for the best wishes, can’t wait to get rid of this bastard arthritis and constant pain. May I ask how old your wife is?
Had both of mine done a couple of years ago, at 40 and 41 when my second was done about 8 months later.

Good luck mate.

how longs the recovery and is it painful afterwards?

Within 6 weeks you are near full fitness. Post op the first night is horrendous, pain is unbearable, first two weeks post op is horrible, just cant get comfortable at all, feels like you have been shagged up the hoop over and over again! 🤣

Don't know how they solve the parking issue. I guess if you're using public transport you have to plan and factor in possible delays and car drivers aren't used to this.

A recent change for me is that both renal and gastro consultants have offered telephone appointments for my check ups , obviously with the understanding that if I need clinic time I can have it but makes more sense if just having an annual chatter to do it by phone

A recent change for me is that both renal and gastro consultants have offered telephone appointments for my check ups , obviously with the understanding that if I need clinic time I can have it but makes more sense if just having an annual chatter to do it by phone

That’s a really good idea. My daughter has been thinking about going back to Sunderland for a fresh look at her Crohns. She used to be with Dr Mitchison until she retired. So long as the appointment is with the consultant that would be a real help.

how longs the recovery and is it painful afterwards?
Hard to say really, about 6 weeks and I was walking without sticks and started driving but was still tender. The tenderness for me lasted even beyond 26 weeks if I recall correctly.

My first wasnt too painfull after a couple of days, with both I never had any pain relief once I came out of hospital. But my second was really painful for a week and half.
Within 6 weeks you are near full fitness. Post op the first night is horrendous, pain is unbearable, first two weeks post op is horrible, just cant get comfortable at all, feels like you have been shagged up the hoop over and over again! 🤣
The worst part for me was having to sleep on your back for 6 weeks. I've never slept on my back always my side and couldn't get to sleep. I must have had about 4 weeks of 1-2 hours a night then just lay on my side with a couple of pillows between my knees

Last edited:
I haven't had that option offered at those clinics although I would have been happy to participate. What do they do re. blood tests? Often seemed the main reason for attending.

Having said that, I finally lost my battle with my kidney function count and had to start dialysis a couple of weeks ago. They actually encourage you to use their transport which solves any parking issue. I'm also keen to take up the option of home dialysis although it will probably be a few months before this is sorted out.

That’s a really good idea. My daughter has been thinking about going back to Sunderland for a fresh look at her Crohns. She used to be with Dr Mitchison until she retired. So long as the appointment is with the consultant that would be a real help.

I see John Painter but have seen Mitchison before - would recommenced Mr Painter if she does go back.
I haven't had that option offered at those clinics although I would have been happy to participate. What do they do re. blood tests? Often seemed the main reason for attending.

Having said that, I finally lost my battle with my kidney function count and had to start dialysis a couple of weeks ago. They actually encourage you to use their transport which solves any parking issue. I'm also keen to take up the option of home dialysis although it will probably be a few months before this is sorted out.

I’ve been having bloods taken at GP’s but I think it’ll be mainly for patients where they’re fairly settled if that makes sense ? My last appointment with Gastro was over in about 3 minutes as I don’t want any new meds and don’t want stoma reversal.
I’m sorry to hear about the dialysis - how are you finding it ? Let’s hope they can sort out the home dialysis quickly for you as while they seem really canny in the unit there it’s no substitute for being at home. Wishing you all the best x

Last edited:
I’ve been having bloods taken at GP’s but I think it’ll be mainly for patients where they’re fairly settled if that makes sense ? My last appointment with Gastro was over in about 3 minutes as I don’t want any new meds and don’t want stoma reversal.
I’m sorry to hear about the dialysis - how are you finding it ? Let’s hope they can sort out the home dialysis quickly for you as while they seem really canny in the unit there it’s no substitute for being at home. Wishing you all the best x
Yes, that makes sense. My renal function hovered just above dialysis level for about a year but it was pretty much a matter of time. Can't say I'm enjoying dialysis but since there is no choice I'm trying to make the best of it. I was starting to feel quite unwell so knew it was probably time. I've only been on a couple of weeks and still feel pretty grim but they reckon it's probably a couple of months before you really feel the benefit.

My Gastro and Haemo appointments are usually over in the blink of an eye so I'm sure they could be done over the phone.

Back