Sunderland Half Marathon - Sunday May 12th

Hawyatt Earp

Striker
Are many on here doing it? (The route looks really bizarre)

And is there going to be anyone going out of their way to line the streets and cheering on the runners?

Not done the half but I've done the 10K which includes some of the half marathon route.

There's quite a few people on St Mary's Way and the bridge. There's a handful of people on the city centre streets, at the RNLI station and around the park. Most of the time there's hardly anyone else cheering people on which is a shame.

And is there going to be anyone going out of their way to line the streets and cheering on the runners?
I'll tell you in a couple of hours after I've been to the hospital.:lol: I'm signed up to do it as I have been every year since I first did it in 2014. I've been thwarted each time through injury or hospitalisation so determined to do it this year.
Getting my wonky feet at looked at again today and those coupled with another issue that's cropped up in the past fortnight could scupper me again.
Route can be a bit dull in places when it doubles back on itself and crowds thin out quite a bit but I one hundred percent prefer it to the GNR. The people in Hendon in their pyjamas are worth a hundred people shouting 'Oggy, Oggy, Oggy..'.:lol:
I would definitely recommend it.

Not done the half but I've done the 10K which includes some of the half marathon route.

There's quite a few people on St Mary's Way and the bridge. There's a handful of people on the city centre streets, at the RNLI station and around the park. Most of the time there's hardly anyone else cheering people on which is a shame.

Over time it'll improve though, I hope. Thanks for that though

I'll tell you in a couple of hours after I've been to the hospital.:lol: I'm signed up to do it as I have been every year since I first did it in 2014. I've been thwarted each time through injury or hospitalisation so determined to do it this year.
Getting my wonky feet at looked at again today and those coupled with another issue that's cropped up in the past fortnight could scupper me again.
Route can be a bit dull in places when it doubles back on itself and crowds thin out quite a bit but I one hundred percent prefer it to the GNR. The people in Hendon in their pyjamas are worth a hundred people shouting 'Oggy, Oggy, Oggy..'.:lol:

Haha, I'll be on the look out for them. Plus the GNR was a struggle to get some space, even in the last mile it's so packed. The last few miles up to Roker and back should be lovely in ours though, looking forward to it. Good luck with your dodgy feet, mate.

Last edited:
It’s not about how many people cheer you on surely, it’s the personal challenge, completing it or improving a time.

I’d be happy enough if there was no one.

I’m doing the Pier to Pier, amazing route as the Sunderland half falls on the wrong day for me.

Hope all goes well mate. Will keep everything crossed! xx

Similar battles here as it looks like I may need another operation. I'll still give the 10K a go if I'm able to though.

It’s not about how many people cheer you on surely, it’s the personal challenge, completing it or improving a time.

I’d be happy enough if there was no one.

I’m doing the Pier to Pier, amazing route as the Sunderland half falls on the wrong day for me.
The crowds in the GNR got on my tits but I admit to getting a bit of a boost by the crowd in Roker Park at about mile eleven of the Sunderland one.

The crowds in the GNR got on my tits but I admit to getting a bit of a boost by the crowd in Roker Park at about mile eleven of the Sunderland one.
Same. Both the crowd at the side of the road and the one running around me. The GNR clearly accepts too many runners, there are parts that are complete standstill for minutes if your a middle of the pack runner.

I usually do the 10k but undecided atm as at a wedding do the night before and not much point doing it if I'm not gonna get a decent time.

I dunno, I did the 10k last year although it was my first run I thought that there was a decent amount of people out watching. Not on the scale of the GNR or owt but round Roker Park and back over the bridge were a couple of my favourite parts with everyone clapping as the runners passed.

A lot of the (10k) route is along the riverside and back up Dame Dorothy Street and I'd agree there weren't a lot of folk out along that way.

A lot of the (10k) route is along the riverside and back up Dame Dorothy Street and I'd agree there weren't a lot of folk out along that way.

That's when you need it! One year the wind was really strong off the sea, it had rained and I was soaked to the skin and I was ready to give up on Dame Dorothy Street :oops:

One of those races when you run round thinking "why the hell have I paid to do this?" but you still sign up and do it again :lol:

I did it last year. It's an ok course although on parts of it it feels like your running round in circles like Sunniside and that street where McDonald's is. Then that hill under the archway up to Roker Park is an absolute killer. And then once out of RP the last 2 miles along the sea front and Dame Dorothy Street feels like a gradual climb all the way to the finish. I practically crawled the last few hundred yards

I thought that, but if you spread the route out more you’re basically going to have to shut down the city for it.

I’m in two minds whether to do it or not. Been trying to convince @Mickers to do it with me but he’s having none of it.

Back