RAWA Sunderland Foodbank

It’s austerity mate. For the good of the country ya knaar. We’re all in it together. Unless you just picked up a 75 million quid bonus. In which case you aren’t as much in it as the rest of us. Tories, Labour, both cheeks of the same f***ing arse.
I believe the Royal Family's 'pay' has gone up 40% in the last few years as well before we add in all their weddings. They do such a great job though the majority in this country dont mind. All in this together remember.

However, this is a great initiative - well done to all involved!

RAWA’s second foodbank collection before Southend United this Saturday
The Red and White Army will continue their partnership with the Sunderland Foodbank by holding their second collection before this Saturday’s game against Southend United. A group of volunteers from the independent supporters organisation and the Foodbank will be at the Fanzone from noon, and are calling on fans to donate food, toiletries and cash.

Sunderland Foodbank Coordinator Kate Townsend said “We are delighted to be partnering with RAWA again. We received an overwhelming response at the last collection – a van full of food and lots of cash! I’m not a football fan myself and you sometimes hear less than complimentary things about supporters. My experience of Sunderland fans since we started this partnership has been nothing but kindness and a will to help those less fortunate”.

Chairman of RAWA Andrew Hird acknowledged the huge support from SAFC “This partnership is a new initiative for RAWA and a bit of a new direction for us. The Club have backed us from day one without us even asking. They’ve provided the space to collect in the fanzone and at the last collection, before the Fleetwood match, the academy came along to help. We had members of the under 23 and under 18 squad loading food onto the van and rattling collection buckets. It was fantastic to see supporters and players volunteering together like that. It perfectly illustrates the “one club” philosophy that the owners are keen to instill”.

Sunderland AFC Managing Director Tony Davison said “One of the best things about Sunderland is the community spirit and a passion to help those in need. Working together, players, staff and fans can make a real and positive difference to our community. The Red and White Army’s partnership with Sunderland Foodbank is a fantastic initiative and we encourage our supporters attending the game on Saturday to donate what they can.”

RAWA attended a national Fans Supporting Foodbanks conference in Liverpool last week as partnerships between supporters and local foodbanks are springing up all around the country. Sadly, the demand for foodbanks is growing and predicted to get worse. Sunderland supporters can do their bit for the local community by donating at the Fanzone before the Southend match.

Red and White News | Red And White Army

Update from RAWA website.

Sticky this until the match is over ?
Hi,

We will be collecting until the match starts. Starting 11 finishing around 3.

What's the score with this, can I just bring a bag of stuff and drop it somewhere?
Exactly! We'll be in the fanzone from 11-3. Blue hi-vis jackets, green buckets and big foodbank flags - you can't miss us!

Can you donate at the Beacon of Light today and Friday?
Hi,

I don't believe that the Beacon are collecting this week. However, you can drop it off at our warehouse today or at the fanzone tomorrow before the match. Thanks :)

Last time there was a stand in the fanzone to drop bags off at.

Will be donating again. Is there a list of what they need most? @Ghandi Floss
We really could do with coffee, rice pudding, custard, tea bags and any christmas fare. Thanks!! :)

Is there a website you can donate at?
Yep you can donate online at www.sunderland.foodbank.org.uk - thanks! :)

Last edited:
Hi,

Exactly! We'll be in the fanzone from 11-3. Blue hi-vis jackets, green buckets and big foodbank flags - you can't miss us!

Hi,

I don't believe that the Beacon are collecting this week. However, you can drop it off at our warehouse today or at the fanzone tomorrow before the match. Thanks :)

We really could do with coffee, rice pudding, custard, tea bags and any christmas fare. Thanks!! :)

Where is your warehouse?

Hi,

Hi,

Cheers for fielding these questions Kate.

Hopefully we have another successful collection, and the rain (and snow!) doesn't dampen things too much.

Back