RAWA Sunderland Food Banks

Ghandi Floss

Striker
The Red and White Army call on Sunderland fans to help local Foodbanks

Just been speaking to one of the lads that runs the RAWA, and he reckons need of food banks has increased 100% over the last week or so. The lass who runs it needs all the help she can get.

I’m looking to get involved myself over the coming months, seeing as though I’ve no other work on.
May even need to pinch a tin of peas for the family’s tea, if things don’t start looking up!?

The Red and White Army call on Sunderland fans to help local Foodbanks

Just been speaking to one of the lads that runs the RAWA, and he reckons need of food banks has increased 100% over the last week or so. The lass who runs it needs all the help she can get.

I’m looking to get involved myself over the coming months, seeing as though I’ve no other work on.
May even need to pinch a tin of peas for the family’s tea, if things don’t start looking up!?
Well done again the RAWA!

Thank you for your efforts with this. Owt that can be done from overseas?
I think from overseas it would be about online donations mate and anything that you can do to promote the cause amongst family and friends. Whilst I'm on though, anyone who is local, who has the time and is not vulnerable can help out in other ways. They need volunteers to help make up emergency food parcels, to transport food from supermarkets to the depot in Hendon and stuff like that. They need to sort pickups from the supermarkets more often because apparently there's twats pilfering the donation bins in the current climate. Things are going to get worse and the demand on the foodbanks is going to increase.

Glad to see red house medical centre on the list. I'm going there on Monday to pick up inhalers for the bairn. Will have a look at the list of things they need and when I have to brave the supermarket today I'll see what I can pick up for them without leaving the shelves empty!

These must be horrific times for people in need. We moan about not being able to get everything we want from supermarkets, and undoubtedly some key items always seem to be off the shelf, but there's always food and we'll always eat. Others might not be so lucky. When people start worrying about themselves and their families there'll be a lot less being donated to others. Hope everyone gets behind this, more and more will need help and currently there'll be less help than normal. This will be a major problem for people in our local area unless we all step up and do something, however small, to help. Let's show that, despite the amount of press they get, the selfish arseholes are still in the vast minority

Glad to see red house medical centre on the list. I'm going there on Monday to pick up inhalers for the bairn. Will have a look at the list of things they need and when I have to brave the supermarket today I'll see what I can pick up for them without leaving the shelves empty!

These must be horrific times for people in need. We moan about not being able to get everything we want from supermarkets, and undoubtedly some key items always seem to be off the shelf, but there's always food and we'll always eat. Others might not be so lucky. When people start worrying about themselves and their families there'll be a lot less being donated to others. Hope everyone gets behind this, more and more will need help and currently there'll be less help than normal. This will be a major problem for people in our local area unless we all step up and do something, however small, to help. Let's show that, despite the amount of press they get, the selfish arseholes are still in the vast minority
Good luck with the shops, I ended up going to Bookers, Lidl, B&M and Tesco’s just to get what I though was useful for the food bank.
Spent £20 and I thought it still looked pathetic. 😞

Good luck with the shops, I ended up going to Bookers, Lidl, B&M and Tesco’s just to get what I though was useful for the food bank.
Spent £20 and I thought it still looked pathetic. 😞

If enough people do it, it'll all add up mate. At least you're doing what you can and it'll be greatly appreciated. That's the thing, no one needs to do loads, not many can afford to, but there's enough good people out there that, together, we'll make a difference. It'll be good to feel part of something positive amongst all this negativity. Said it before but one of the great things about supporting a football club is the sense of community, with no games to go to for the foreseeable future I hope as many of our fans as possible get involved in stuff like this and help Sunderland out in other ways.

There is concern that with people self-isolating or going on self-imposed lockdown – and as someone who lives in London, I can tell you s**t really is getting real down here – physical donations of food are dwindling.

But of course you can donate money instead. Like here:

The Trussell Trust - Stop UK Hunger

They are the UK’s largest networks of food banks.

it doesn’t matter if it’s a tenner or whatever, if you are able to stock up/feed your family, please do dig just a little further into your pockets to help those who are struggling, many of whom have children to care for.

It will make a huge difference.

Look after yourselves everyone.

There is concern that with people self-isolating or going on self-imposed lockdown – and as someone who lives in London, I can tell you s**t really is getting real down here – physical donations of food are dwindling.

But of course you can donate money instead. Like here:

The Trussell Trust - Stop UK Hunger

They are the UK’s largest networks of food banks.

it doesn’t matter if it’s a tenner or whatever, if you are able to stock up/feed your family, please do dig just a little further into your pockets to help those who are struggling, many of whom have children to care for.

It will make a huge difference.

Look after yourselves everyone.
Is there a way to do a straight cash donation to a local foodbank? I dont drive, so cant deliver but like to help. Also worth moving this to the CV-19 forum?

It’s a stickie at the top. I guess it’s there to hit as many people as possible. So whatever section of the board you are browsing it’s the first thread you see. Maximise the views. Keep it at the forefront of everyone’s attention. Which is important.

No idea about direct donations to local food banks but I suggest some of the smaller ones won’t have the facility.

But if you go to the one I inserted, you have the option to search for one its food banks in your area and donate accordingly.

My son is a student and living on a shoestring. He has complained that sometimes he's had to buy more expensive branded products because that's all that was left.

It did make me concerned for anyone on a low income who is having to go without food as they cannot afford to buy the more expensive food that is left in the shops. It's a horrible situation.

Volunteers badly needed too. Many of the regular helpers are pensioners who are now rightly stopping home. Able bodied youngsters needed to man the trenches in every foodbank everywhere.

Support the Foodbank at East Durham Trust in Peterlee if thats your local one, its not one of the national Trussell Trust so it doesn't get anything from the SOL collections. They support people across the Colliery villages.

Back