Sunderland fans blocked from buying tickets for Wimbledon game

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's just a sit anywhere type of thing.
I think the world cup set up seems to work nicely. You don't have actual segregation but the fans bunch up massively so you'll have either blocks of maybe 50 seats all containing one set of supporters or you'll have entire stands but random opposition fans mixed in.

No issues, no violence, alcohol in the stand, good atmospheres (depending on the countries involved).

Treating two sets of groups differently creates tension, police squaring up to drunk fans causes extra problems. It's all fairly basic human psychology and has been written about many times.

However much some men like to let out their testosterone by making a song and dance at the away fans on the perimeter of their segregated away stand, that sort of things just then bleeds out into the street and causes problems.

Last edited:

I think the world cup set up seems to work nicely. You don't have actual segregation but the fans bunch up massively so you'll have either blocks of maybe 50 seats all containing one set of supporters or you'll have entire stands but random opposition fans mixed in.

No issues, no violence, alcohol in the stand, good atmospheres (depending on the countries involved).

Treating two sets of groups differently creates tension, police squaring up to drunk fans causes extra problems. It's all fairly basic human psychology and has been written about many times.

However much some men like to let out their testosterone by making a song and dance at the away fans on the perimeter of their segregated away stand, that sort of things just then bleeds out into the street and causes problems.

Yet it almost never does.

I don't blame her for storming out, what was she going to do, she was there to watch football like the rest of the fans regardless of where she was sitting. The mindset needs to change IMO
And this why Wimbledon have blocked us from buying tickets in the home end. Celebrating a goal isn't the problem but jumping around like you've just won the lottery is another thing. If she was with a SAFC fan then the fan then her mate should have told her to sit down. It only takes 1 idiot to start a bit of bother and this happens in all sports.

There's no football related violence on streets in the UK? Pull the other one :confused: literally a thread on this message board about it with our last visitors

Where did I say none? I said almost never. There's 92 professional clubs playing every week, how many fights have you been involved in or even seen in the last 20 years at the SOL?

Where did I say none? I said almost never. There's 92 professional clubs playing every week, how many fights have you been involved in or even seen in the last 20 years at the SOL?
Anecdotal stats back and forth, if we take the official numbers from the police of recorded instances - Football-related arrests and banning order statistics, England and Wales, 2016 to 2017 season then when you consider the number of times the police actually get involved and arrest or ban someone will be a small percentage of violent incidents related in and around football, it's fairly obvious that it happens more than it should.

The fair argument would be that it doesn't matter if fans were mixed or not, some people just can't control their anger (mostly when alcohol is involved) and there will be fights whatever. Yet I'll believe the reports that segregation worsens the situation just like riot police worsen protests/riots. Whether it is worse the pain to maintain the tribal atmosphere is a different argument.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back