Sunderland Council - Minimum Alcohol Pricing

Would it not just be the shops selling the really strong stuff cheaply that would be impacted mostly ?
I'd imagine most pubs etc wouldn't see any change.

Similar policies have already been adopted by some English cities, including Durham.
First I've heard of Durham doing it but found a licensing document saying -

The council would therefore like to encourage all
licensed premises to apply a minimum unit price of 50p to all alcoholic products
sold under their premises licence. Where the premises are found to be selling
alcohol below this price and there are problems associated with the premises that
are negatively impacting on the licensing objectives, a responsible authority may
bring review proceedings.

licensed premises to apply a minimum unit price of 50p to all alcoholic products
alcohol below this price and there are problems associated with the premises that
are negatively impacting on the licensing objectives, a responsible authority may
I'd never heard of it until the article, but I'm rarely out anyway.

They have been trying to do it quietly for a while, there's a local café got rejected due to its location, even though its in the city centre but the actual boundary says Hendon, they appealed as they'd not be selling cheap bottles and it was granted. They should close a lot of the corner shops that are only there to serve the alcoholics as it basically makes certain parts of town ghost towns for businesses.

So £1.50 a pint or 50p a shot :cool:

It's an initiative to bring the meths drinkers back to Mowbray Park, a tourist attraction from the 1970's. Joking aside I've never agreed with the policy as all it will do is make the alcohol dependents seek other sources and alternatives.

Back