Sunderland Council Budget Consultation

Good grief, I know it’s for waste disposal at Springwell Village (someone has to pay for the recent renovations), I was just astounded at the actual value. I’m sure it would be a similar value whether we used Howdon or Tyne Dock or wherever.
It's about 150£ a tonne for landfill mate. The government tax it to fuck, and it increases 10% every year. I think Houghton land fill is now shut so we've got to get rid somewhere. Watch for the planned incinerator at Washington. Nailed on to happen.

It's about 150£ a tonne for landfill mate. The government tax it to fuck, and it increases 10% every year. I think Houghton land fill is now shut so we've got to get rid somewhere. Watch for the planned incinerator at Washington. Nailed on to happen.

I’m starting to experience the rise in waste costs at work now. We’re expanding and our tonnage is getting higher (albeit we’re a small-medium company) and the threshold increases are ridiculous. But that figure of £817k just stunned me.

I’m starting to experience the rise in waste costs at work now. We’re expanding and our tonnage is getting higher (albeit we’re a small-medium company) and the threshold increases are ridiculous. But that figure of £817k just stunned me.
Think how many tonnes we must get through in bin collections in a month . Add on the general waste from beech Street tip. I'm a small set up myself, and but pay out around 1000 a month on thedisposing of bathrooms and kitchens. Breaks my heart.

Think how many tonnes we must get through in bin collections in a month . Add on the general waste from beech Street tip. I'm a small set up myself, and but pay out around 1000 a month on thedisposing of bathrooms and kitchens. Breaks my heart.

Bloody hell, that’s horrendous!!!!! I thought the idea in this country was to help end encourage new/small businesses, not a chance at this rate. Good luck going forward mate and I hope brexit doesn’t have a negative effect on your business.

Bloody hell, that’s horrendous!!!!! I thought the idea in this country was to help end encourage new/small businesses, not a chance at this rate. Good luck going forward mate and I hope brexit doesn’t have a negative effect on your business.
Brexit will have a negative effect on every business.

So maybe that will even it out.

Waste is a big expense at the minute. I've been reading landfill costs are going through the roof, all to encourage recycling. But then you get people on here saying they won't recycle because the binman didn't take their contaminated recycling bin away one fortnight.

What do you do?

No doubt the council does waste money. By the looks of it travel and accommodation could be booked up cheaper for a start. The council isn't above criticism, but it's about criticising the right things, not everything.

That's the Tories for you shameful the butchery of council jobs and services.

Funnily enough they managed to find £50m to fund education on female genital mutilation in Africa, just announced this morning. No guesses as to where a sizeable chunk of that will end up.

Brexit will have a negative effect on every business.

So maybe that will even it out.

Waste is a big expense at the minute. I've been reading landfill costs are going through the roof, all to encourage recycling. But then you get people on here saying they won't recycle because the binman didn't take their contaminated recycling bin away one fortnight.

What do you do?

No doubt the council does waste money. By the looks of it travel and accommodation could be booked up cheaper for a start. The council isn't above criticism, but it's about criticising the right things, not everything.

It might help if they actually recycled the stuff instead of shipping it to other parts of the world where they dump it in landfill.

British rubbish sent overseas for recycling 'could end up in landfill instead'

Last edited:
but, but, but austerity is over. Or was that another bunch of tory bullshit? Or is it only over for Tory led councils?

So they kick him out the party
But won’t comment due to ongoing inquiries? Why kick him out of the party then?
That’s labour for you.

really? You don't understand why they can't comment on a legal matter? If he's kicked out or suspended from the party that would suggest at some point he has transgressed the rules, they don't need a judge and jury to decide that. Prosecution on the other hand is a legal matter and it would only be not appropriate to comment it could prejudice the case.

but, but, but austerity is over. Or was that another bunch of tory bullshit? Or is it only over for Tory led councils?

really? You don't understand why they can't comment on a legal matter? If he's kicked out or suspended from the party that would suggest at some point he has transgressed the rules, they don't need a judge and jury to decide that. Prosecution on the other hand is a legal matter and it would only be not appropriate to comment it could prejudice the case.
I do yes I understand completely. My point is why suspend/kick out someone who is ‘accused’ not found guilty? Obviously it’s done just incase he is found guilty then questions would be asked why was he allowed still to work within the party. But why not say that. By saying what they have said just adds fuel to the fire. Not everyone is as intelligent as the smb lads and lasses.

That’s a lot of 50 pences.

:lol:

Should be sending our waste to an energy from waste facility, ridiculous that we’re still landfilling it.

Last edited:

Austerity never really happened did it, they just made cuts to spend elsewhere.

Does not matter who is control none of them can manage budgets or finances....no need not their money!

Joe Public can always pay more......or just reduce services and charge the same. It is an absolute disgrace budgets are being cut yet lord's and MP's get expenses, subsidised meals and bars on the taxpayers shilling.

Then money sent abroad while cutting services of our own people whovare in need. Rant over!
Exactly, scream labour or conservative they're all the f***ing same.

As an employee whoever is in power makes no f***ing difference to me or my family.

Back