Sunderland Colloquiums

It's not a V sound. I know what the OP means in terms of the way some people pronounce their Rs but it doesn't sound like a V. I can't describe what it sounds like mind. I imagine its how @Gillythedilf would say his Rs.
Ive got a deep booming rough as fuck Mackem accent che as you have partly guessed.Think a young Bobby Knoxall.

I don’t talk like a mincer though like people from Favva and that de.”Av ye see owva Gavvy?” Sort of talk.

I grew up in Pennywell and have only realised today after reading this thread that me and my mates said that "V" in "get intavim!"

I grew up in Pennywell and have only realised today after reading this thread that me and my mates said that "V" in "get intavim!"

I don't think it's even a dialect fuck up. It was just said as that's how you say that. In the same way people can say isn't it without a problem, but will also say innit.

Been in Sunderland for the past few days. Find sometimes some things people say round these parts quite odd. Past few days I have heard....

‘eeh ew av nivver flakkered the day’

’it wants a ten milly screw in man gavvy’

’al hatta handball the gear intiv the van tevvy cos the mota is fucked on the vagon’

I reckon for outsiders they would find it very difficult to understand the language more than most places. Sunderland does seem to have a large proportion of blokes who have high pitched voices too. I’d say 80% of Sunderland blokes have squeaky voices.
Ive cocked the thread title up 😡
best one i've heard is "he dizzent knar his colloquiums from his colloquialisms that one"

Heard earlier in shiney coop...

“aye arm garn ewa tivoak tvee forewwa dinner if you fancy it hew forksy”

Forksy looked absolutely gormless.

Back