Sunderland Colloquiums

OOOSH YEAH

Striker
Been in Sunderland for the past few days. Find sometimes some things people say round these parts quite odd. Past few days I have heard....

‘eeh ew av nivver flakkered the day’

’it wants a ten milly screw in man gavvy’

’al hatta handball the gear intiv the van tevvy cos the mota is fucked on the vagon’

I reckon for outsiders they would find it very difficult to understand the language more than most places. Sunderland does seem to have a large proportion of blokes who have high pitched voices too. I’d say 80% of Sunderland blokes have squeaky voices.
Ive cocked the thread title up 😡

Last edited:

Been in Sunderland for the past few days. Find sometimes some things people say round these parts quite odd. Past few days I have heard....

‘eeh ew av nivver flakkered the day’

’it wants a ten milly screw in man gavvy’

’al hatta handball the gear intiv the van tevvy cos the mota is fucked on the vagon’

I reckon for outsiders they would find it very difficult to understand the language more than most places. Sunderland does seem to have a large proportion of blokes who have high pitched voices too. I’d say 80% of Sunderland blokes have squeaky voices.
Ive cocked the thread title up 😡
Flakkered?
Gavvy?
Nee one says intiv, i assume you mean inta
Tevvy? Hang on is this meant to be Gary and Terry? Nee one pronounces their R's as V's

Vagon :lol::lol: Are you sure you're not in Dusseldorf?

Always bring the doubters out these threads mind.

There is some form of weird uvular rhotacism (or at least that's how I hear it) in the dialect of some parts of Sunderland and you can't convince me otherwise.

Flakkered?
Gavvy?
Nee one says intiv, i assume you mean inta
Tevvy? Hang on is this meant to be Gary and Terry? Nee one pronounces their R's as V's

Vagon :lol::lol: Are you sure you're not in Dusseldorf?

They do. He's exaggerated some aspects of it but I can specifically remember shouts of 'Get initvim!'

For 'Get into him!' From the touchline of youth footy matches back in the day.

They do. He's exaggerated some aspects of it but I can specifically remember shouts of 'Get initvim!'

For 'Get into him!' From the touchline of youth footy matches back in the day.
I've never heard anyone ever say that in all of my life and I've lived in and around the sunderland area for most of it

Back