Sunderland Coast Project - Photography Competition

Goat Eyes

Striker
Just noticed this comp if anyone is interested.

Open to all amateur photographers.
The theme of the Coast Project Photography Competition is the Wild North-East Coast. Photos can be either coastal wildlife shots including wild flowers or landscape shots.
Photos must be taken on the Sunderland Coastline area.
Photographs should be new (i.e. not published previously).
One prize for each category. Under ten years old. Ten to eighteen years old. Adults. Prizes will be a £100.00 gift voucher for Charles Eagle and Son in Sunderland.
Photos must be of an original digital image taken on mobile phone, iPad or digital camera. Images may be digitally enhanced to remove spots or scratches, but not manipulated. Entrants can enhance the picture to make it brighter, clearer etc, but not manipulate the content. Photos should be emailed in a jpg image to [email protected] A maximum of three photos per photographer, over the period of the competition.
The judges have the discretion to reject any image which has been, in their opinion, over-manipulated, removing the integrity of the original image.

Staged and camera trap images will be accepted provided they do not misrepresent the subject or scene and that this is stipulated at time of entry.
The welfare of subjects must be considered at all time and any image that, in the judges’ opinion, compromises the welfare of the subject will be rejected.
The competition will start on the 1st January 2020 and run until 31st October 2020. Photos can be submitted anytime up until noon on 1st November 2020 for judging.

Photo grab, or legit?

Bit of both as always, but I think this is fairly genuine - its a Sunderland Council thing from what I can see and they only really seem to be seeking rights to use the photos in their own publications.

Entrants will retain copyright in the photographs that they submit to the Coast Project. By entering the competition all entrants grant to the Coast Project the right to publish and exhibit their photographs on Coast website, and the further rights to publish and exhibit their photographs in print, on their respective websites or in any other media. No fees will be payable for any of the above uses.

Sorry John. I’m not a photographer so not up on the lingo. 😂

Get it now.

Its all too common and a cheap way for organisations to get photos for their use rather than paying for photographers or library images.

Create a competition (often with no prizes apart from kudos, and even in some cases an entry fee!), get the photographers to sign away all rights to their photos and then use them for commercial gain without paying royalties.

At least its marginally more legit than stealing them from facebook/flickr/Instagram!

That said, I don't feel this is what is going on here and wouldn't want to discourage entries which I assume are going to be used to promote our fine coastline. There are also obviously prizes for the winning entries so it must be worth some people from here putting some entries in. If nothing else, its an excuse to get down the coast with your camera.

Its all too common and a cheap way for organisations to get photos for their use rather than paying for photographers or library images.

Create a competition (often with no prizes apart from kudos, and even in some cases an entry fee!), get the photographers to sign away all rights to their photos and then use them for commercial gain without paying royalties.

At least its marginally more legit than stealing them from facebook/flickr/Instagram!

That said, I don't feel this is what is going on here and wouldn't want to discourage entries which I assume are going to be used to promote our fine coastline. There are also obviously prizes for the winning entries so it must be worth some people from here putting some entries in. If nothing else, its an excuse to get down the coast with your camera.
I have become cynical at times. The T&C's aren't as blanket a giveaway of rights as most you see.

Back