Sunderland Camera club exhibition at the Museum

• Thread starter Icarebecauseyoudo
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I

Icarebecauseyoudo

Some nice stuff, though as ever HDR and OTT processing wins out in the colour section. Nice little panorama from Tarn Hows I liked :)

In the black and white section I especially liked the dunes and fence (2nd placed image in their competition), though it went just a touch overboard on the silver FX

Anyone else seen it?

I joined our local camera club last year. Most of the people in the club are actually quite sensible when it comes to post-processing.

I haven't entered any of their competitions yet, so no axe to grind but several of the external judges have commented now about how things should be cloned out of photos. Maybe its just me, but if something is there, it should normally stay in my photo - if it is distracting, I need to find another angle when I take the photo, not remove it afterwards!

Two of them also told people to replace the sky with nicer sky in their photos :rolleyes:

The last judge we had, definitely had a downer on reflections. There were three very nice photos (IMO) with reflections in them and he marked those the lowest of the lot - and there were some other very poor entries!

^^ I guess this is a philosophical point, but personally not something I'm comfortable with. I don't mind changes to an image that make it closer to my perceived reality (eg contrast, colour balance, etc) but even that's not easy to define...some might argue removing a wrinkle or mole from a model is doing the same thing.

I definitely draw the line at cloning out something out that I felt messed up the composition, and there's absolutely no way I'd ever change the sky, add clouds, or suchlike to a scenic shot. It might be a creative process of some sort, but it's not photography IMO.

Like you say, I'd rather find a different angle that avoided a problem, and if I couldn't do that I'd either avoid the shot altogether, or just include the offending article in the composition.

Perhaps a commercial wedding or portrait photographer would take a different view, as their primary goal is to please the client. That's fair enough, but for me as an amateur without such constraints, photography needs to be closer to the truth. However it's clear that with digital manipulation techniques now readily available and pretty easy to use, that's fast becoming a minority view.

I joined our local camera club last year. Most of the people in the club are actually quite sensible when it comes to post-processing.

I haven't entered any of their competitions yet, so no axe to grind but several of the external judges have commented now about how things should be cloned out of photos. Maybe its just me, but if something is there, it should normally stay in my photo - if it is distracting, I need to find another angle when I take the photo, not remove it afterwards!

Two of them also told people to replace the sky with nicer sky in their photos :rolleyes:

The last judge we had, definitely had a downer on reflections. There were three very nice photos (IMO) with reflections in them and he marked those the lowest of the lot - and there were some other very poor entries!
Who are these goons?

We have just started to structure our camera club (Officials, Committee and Constitution) and are looking at starting competitions at our club in the next couple of months and would like to have independent judging on them. Anyone on here know of any local judges and costs?
We are all very basic amateurs really with only one lad who is a "pro" in the club so we don't really want every ones photos ripping apart so only "friendly" judges please:)
Do these sort of things have to be prints or can it be done digitally via email ?

We have just started to structure our camera club (Officials, Committee and Constitution) and are looking at starting competitions at our club in the next couple of months and would like to have independent judging on them. Anyone on here know of any local judges and costs?
We are all very basic amateurs really with only one lad who is a "pro" in the club so we don't really want every ones photos ripping apart so only "friendly" judges please:)
Do these sort of things have to be prints or can it be done digitally via email ?
Don't worry, I'm not local :lol:

Just going on what our camera club does, the external judges are normally people from other relatively local camera clubs (typically with lots of letters after their names :lol: ) . I don't know for sure, but I imagine they are getting their expenses to visit us on a club night and no more than that.

We generally have 2 categories for mounted images (prints) and projected (digital) images. Be prepared for judges to spend more time criticising or praising the mount than the photo!

Just going on what our camera club does, the external judges are normally people from other relatively local camera clubs (typically with lots of letters after their names :lol: ) . I don't know for sure, but I imagine they are getting their expenses to visit us on a club night and no more than that.

We generally have 2 categories for mounted images (prints) and projected (digital) images. Be prepared for judges to spend more time criticising or praising the mount than the photo!
I love all the letters after the name. I'm only a member of the Twistleton Wide Angle Trust

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back