Sunderland 10k/half marathon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thanks hubby, much appreciated. I found it hard going and just wanted to finish in the park. Those water pouches take some getting used to, either choke or get no water!

Last year I couldn't get to grips with them while running at all, ended up bursting one all over myself in Roker Park and I was absolutely choking for a drink.

Only drink I managed was a couple of Sikh blokes handing out bottles up Ashbrooke, shouting 'get your lovely, hot water here'.

Got our lass round in 2.49 for the half not bad for only been running five months, she got a bit disheartened seeing all the people coming back the other way she got bit anxious and felt like wasnt fit enough. Wasn't many around us but shows where the big growth could be as compared to the GNR not as many fun runners as that.

No idea how to work them water pouches even the one got at the finish couldn't open without biting it, would have had no chance if had been racing.

First time i have done the half marathon and enjoyed it. 1hr 52 but i got cramp with a km to go and needed the toilet which cost me a minute or so.

Didnt mind the route but it could take in more of the city and even a run around the stadium.

A lot of my running group from North Shields Poly thought it was better than the GNR, also a t shirt that fits and a half decent goody bag.

And it wasnt full of runners taking selfies every couple of miles.

First time i have done the half marathon and enjoyed it. 1hr 52 but i got cramp with a km to go and needed the toilet which cost me a minute or so.

Last edited:
I didn't realise some of the pouches were isotonic. I was thinking 'eh, this water tastes funny like'.

Just gagged again remembering that Totum Sport electrolyte stuff they were giving out on the way back in to town on Ryhope Road. I didn't have a drink at the time & had to wait until the 2nd loop through Keel Square to get rid of the taste. :evil:

Anyone know anything about the lad who nearly collapsed at the end of the 10k? He was canny far up the field but his legs had gone and he stumbled into the fence, much like that lad in the London Marathon. The main steward bloke helped him but didn't see if he reached the line. I was tempted to run on to help him but wasn't sure of the protocol etc.
Saw a photo on Facebook of him on the bridge and he looked like he was out if it then.

Anyone know anything about the lad who nearly collapsed at the end of the 10k? He was canny far up the field but his legs had gone and he stumbled into the fence, much like that lad in the London Marathon. The main steward bloke helped him but didn't see if he reached the line. I was tempted to run on to help him but wasn't sure of the protocol etc.
Saw a photo on Facebook of him on the bridge and he looked like he was out if it then.
Crossed the line about 42. By his vest it appears he's a good club runner. I don't think it was a marshall helping him. Should have got medical attention rather than finishing.

Crossed the line about 42. By his vest it appears he's a good club runner. I don't think it was a marshall helping him. Should have got medical attention rather than finishing.
I think it was the same bloke I saw earlier who gave the go ahead for the race to start. Somebody else may have stepped in after that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back