Sunderland’s Weakness Has Been Provocative - A New Position of Strength to 2020?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Good article but it all rides on Mr Short actually being prepared to back his manager.. and I thought the consensus on here was that he wanted to sell?

Good article but it all rides on Mr Short actually being prepared to back his manager.. and I thought the consensus on here was that he wanted to sell?
Hes backed the last few tbh. Disastrously, in hindsight. Apparently Moyes was his first choice for the last 5 appointments so hopefully now he has joined Ellis will back him

Hes backed the last few tbh. Disastrously, in hindsight. Apparently Moyes was his first choice for the last 5 appointments so hopefully now he has joined Ellis will back him

It´s not a bad manager to build a club around, in my view much better than BSA that basically was employed to "sort clubs out" but never really created a legacy anywhere.

Yes but if he wants to sell..?

Maybe he does, maybe he doesn't but the rumour, on here, was started by one attention seeker and then repeated by only a few others (it appeared to be a single, attention seeking, "source", with nothing to substantiate it).

Imho, given that he now has the manager he's wanted for the past few years, I can't see him going anywhere soon.

Last edited:

It's a complete joke that people on here don't believe he has backed us. In the 10 years we have been back in the premier league we have spent over £185 million on players. There's only Bent, Henderson and Mignolet that we have sold for any reasonably high fee so theres no way that our incomings match our outgoings. We have spent more in 10 years that Ajax have spent in their entire history. I know the Eredivise isn't a great comparison to the Premier League but it shows just how much we have actually spent. A huge amount of money was wasted by Keane, Bruce and O'Neill over a 4 year period. Players like McShane £3 million, Gardner £6 million, Ji £2.5 million, McCartney £5 million, Anton Ferdinand £8 million, Diouf £3 million, Altidore £6 million, Graham £4 million, N'Diaye £4 million, Gyan £12 million, Fletcher £12 million, Johnson, £10 million, Giaccherini £4 million. The list just goes on and on of players who were bought for reasonable sums and were either dog shit, hardly played for us or no longer play for us and left with a pretty hefty loss.

Ellis Short has been badly let down by the footballing people working at the club over the last decade. Yes he employs these people, but when you put a manager in place, you have to back him with cash and have to trust their judgement on players. At the end of the day, Short has said himself he isnt a football man so he has to trust the football people in charge of recruitment.

It's a complete joke that people on here don't believe he has backed us. In the 10 years we have been back in the premier league we have spent over £185 million on players. There's only Bent, Henderson and Mignolet that we have sold for any reasonably high fee so theres no way that our incomings match our outgoings. We have spent more in 10 years that Ajax have spent in their entire history. I know the Eredivise isn't a great comparison to the Premier League but it shows just how much we have actually spent. A huge amount of money was wasted by Keane, Bruce and O'Neill over a 4 year period. Players like McShane £3 million, Gardner £6 million, Ji £2.5 million, McCartney £5 million, Anton Ferdinand £8 million, Diouf £3 million, Altidore £6 million, Graham £4 million, N'Diaye £4 million, Gyan £12 million, Fletcher £12 million, Johnson, £10 million, Giaccherini £4 million. The list just goes on and on of players who were bought for reasonable sums and were either dog shit, hardly played for us or no longer play for us and left with a pretty hefty loss.

Ellis Short has been badly let down by the footballing people working at the club over the last decade. Yes he employs these people, but when you put a manager in place, you have to back him with cash and have to trust their judgement on players. At the end of the day, Short has said himself he isnt a football man so he has to trust the football people in charge of recruitment.
Have you tried thinking of any ways to brighten your day?

It´s not a bad manager to build a club around, in my view much better than BSA that basically was employed to "sort clubs out" but never really created a legacy anywhere.

- Hounded out by a colossal set of pricks at two clubs.
- Left to become England manager at another.
- N Power League One side, Bolton, will probably still be missing him.

When you talk about the footballing people.. You surely don´t mean the managers at a guess?
Looking at SAFC since 2009 there´s a remarkable lack of football people at the top of the club as far as I can see.

Yes but if he wants to sell..?
Every club is up for sale maybe apart from yourselves and PSG.
I think SAFC takes up a disproportionate amount of his time meanwhile he keeps digging into his pockets to keep us afloat.
His fault has been been he was too trusting of his managers.

When you talk about the footballing people.. You surely don´t mean the managers at a guess?
Looking at SAFC since 2009 there´s a remarkable lack of football people at the top of the club as far as I can see.

That was the greatest source of discontent, amongst our supporters, for many years - hopefully now addressed, do we now have as many as MCFC?

Fingers crossed for an Everton style project

Yeah no doubt about that. In terms of footballing people I mean the scouts, managers, directors of football and everyone in between. We've wasted a ridiculous amount of money. Short has to take his share of the blame for the yearly battles we have faced but he wouldn't be near the top of my list of people at fault for the different states we have found ourselves in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back