Sunday morning Live - bbc1

Status
Not open for further replies.

In the event of an inability to pay, there should be a reciprocal agreement with the country that the person is from for their government to pay. Take details of the passport and send the bill to the embassy.

Serious question here. Do you go on holiday abroad without insurance?

No. I wouldn’t expect to be denied treatment if I didn’t either.

Happy to pay for it at a later date, but if I couldn’t pay for it up front, then what?

Also the OP never mentioned just travellers, he mentioned foreigners

Happy to pay for it at a later date, but if I couldn’t pay for it up front, then what?

Fair enough. Mind you, I had insurance and the son had a bit of a do. I had to pay up front and claim it back off the insurance. So not too sure how it works TBH.

Fair enough. Mind you, I had insurance and the son had a bit of a do. I had to pay up front and claim it back off the insurance. So not too sure how it works TBH.

Any medical system that denies absolutely necessary treatment for a lack of money isn’t a healthcare system, it’s a business that offers medical procedures mate, and is morally reprehensible IMO.

Sorry to hear about the trouble you had.

Apart from the thousands of drunk young men and women who the Spanish and a Greek emergency services and hospitals deal with every year, aye.

Is this a wind up Steve? You seem terribly angry about something.
And they pay for that. Are you thick?

Steve has definitely done the proper research here.
Cheers mate

Serious question here. Do you go on holiday abroad without insurance?
He must do. He probably expects to be looked after without payment

Last edited:
Any medical system that denies absolutely necessary treatment for a lack of money isn’t a healthcare system, it’s a business that offers medical procedures mate, and is morally reprehensible IMO.

Sorry to hear about the trouble you had.
Heard of plenty of stories of American hospitals turning away foreigners at the point of entry, because they believed they couldn't pay for their healthcare.

The f***ing monsters

All of them? Are you sure?

Clearly a wind-up thread so I'm out.

Have fun pretending to be outraged.
Never knew you were an entrepreneur, and part of the dragon team.
Bye then

How much of a problem is it, I don’t know. Of course, we don’t need a tourist industry either, the rest will go with a hard brexit might as well clear the decks completely. Will people not die waiting for the banks to open? How big of a problem?
Well how stupid a response wS that then, any tourist would have travel insurance so the NHS would be able to invoice and get paid.

the cost of treatment is likely to be expensive. Could you fork out £5000 now, for some treatment. answer is take out insurance. A girl who sits in front of us, was ran over in the US. she was in hospital for months and still on crutches now. Not sure who paid for treatment whether it was her insurance or the drivers, but some insurance company did.

Well how stupid a response wS that then, any tourist would have travel insurance so the NHS would be able to invoice and get paid.

there were reports that particularly west African pregnant women, were getting a taxi from the airport straight to the hospital.
Big question is though, you will always get abuse of any system, the question is, how much is it costing us for that abuse. Is it 2million or 100million or a billion.

Last edited:
Slightly off topic but what about British ex-pats (like me) who haven't paid anything into the NHS for many years? When I travel back to the UK I never take out insurance just hoping my passport would suffice if I did need medical treatment.

Should the NHS charge foreign patients up front before treatment?

Err.. Yes. Or is it a free for all, and fuck the consequences of the people who actually pay into the system?

Hypocritical dictating two faced lefty bastards, how about - "why the fuck do you need to pay for a TV license for the sake of the BBC when everyone else is either free or uses encryption technology?"

In the event of an inability to pay, there should be a reciprocal agreement with the country that the person is from for their government to pay. Take details of the passport and send the bill to the embassy.
If only someone had thought of that and given it a catchy name, like EHIC or something

If only someone had thought of that and given it a catchy name, like EHIC or something

IIRC the UK department responsible for this are notoriously shit at recharging our EU friends. The figures obtained under freedom of information laws I remember seeing were along the lines of Poland charging the UK four times as much for care received by UK citizens in Poland as we charged them for the care of Poles in the UK, which seems wholly disproportionate based the number of Poles in the UK and vice-versa.

IIRC the UK department responsible for this are notoriously shit at recharging our EU friends. The figures obtained under freedom of information laws I remember seeing were along the lines of Poland charging the UK four times as much for care received by UK citizens in Poland as we charged them for the care of Poles in the UK, which seems wholly disproportionate based the number of Poles in the UK and vice-versa.
that sounds about right

If we go abroad and don't take out insurance, do we use and abuse their hospitals?
Oh, we can't, because we're the only country where it's free to take the piss out of.
Our compassion does us massive credit.

Our naivety must be a laughing stock around the world. Well, clearly it is because it has been exploited for many, many decades. Often by people who despise is, but never let their contempt get in the way of a free ride.

It is the same in France, but at least they are aware of it and take steps to say NO.

What exactly is it that we pay our UK Civil Servants for? French Fonctionnaires may be difficult, lazy and uncooperative, but at least they look after French interests before their own.

Last edited by a moderator:
So presumably UK Civil Servants are happy to pay 4 times as much. No doubt just paying it leaves their "Working" day nice and peaceful. God forbid they should do anything about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back