Suede

Did anyone see the documentary about them on Sky Arts? They're a really good group and it highlights how talented Brett Anderson is, not only as a songwriter but to keep the group going after Bernard Butler left

I stood next to Brett Anderson once at the Royal Festival Hall in one of the many bars they have there. He bought two G&Ts, one for him and one for his friend. I bought two pints of quasi-premium lager. We arrived at the bar simultaneously but I gestured for him to go first. I like to think that, by this small act of kindness, I somehow contributed to Suede getting back together.

Liked the occasional song but have often thought that the singers wrist could do with firming up and his hair deflopperising.

The floppy hair and drooping wrist are similes for their oeuvre.

Got an autobiog out hasn’t he? It ends on the morning of them signing their first record contract. If that’s not an ego size indicator I don’t know what is.

I stood next to Brett Anderson once at the Royal Festival Hall in one of the many bars they have there. He bought two G&Ts, one for him and one for his friend. I bought two pints of quasi-premium lager. We arrived at the bar simultaneously but I gestured for him to go first. I like to think that, by this small act of kindness, I somehow contributed to Suede getting back together.
did they ever actually split?

Well, wikipedia says that they were active from 1989 to 2003 then 2010 to present. Brett had a run of solo albums during the split/hiatus (they sounded a lot like Suede).
ah, still never seen them live, had a ticket to see them on the debut album tour but couldnt make it then just have somehow missed them each time since. Great band

Saw them last night at the Academy.
Superb, Brett was on top form.
Anyone else go?
I was there, superb like. Anderson is one of the best front men I’ve seen.

Well, wikipedia says that they were active from 1989 to 2003 then 2010 to present. Brett had a run of solo albums during the split/hiatus (they sounded a lot like Suede).
And you had The Tears as well his band with Bernard Butler.

Last edited:
Always preferred David Baddiel's version of Anderson mind, but they're a canny turn.

'Hello sailor, whoops cheeky'

Saw the band last night. First 7 songs were fantastic then song choice for me was patchy after that. At the very beginning I was impressed with Brett's voice which sounded strong, but sadly he really struggled at points and by the last song of a 95 minute set (including a 2 song encore) for Life Is Golden his voice had practically given up. Sections of some songs were spoken rather than sung like on the record and he did try and rely on the crowd to sing some parts that I think he struggled with - e.g. Outsiders which was only the second song. Problem with that was a lot of people there didn't know it, but he persisted turning the microphone to the audience throughout the song! Was still worth going as the band sounded great and it was fantastic to hear We Are The Pigs and it's B Side Killing Of A Flashboy played live again. Despite his vocal issues Brett gave a very energetic performance but maybe he needs to tone it down a bit more as this may have had an impact on his voice. He's not in his 20s anymore. Still love this band was just a bit disappointed overall. Someone has posted the setlist here Suede Setlist at O2 Academy Newcastle, Newcastle

Did anyone see the documentary about them on Sky Arts? They're a really good group and it highlights how talented Brett Anderson is, not only as a songwriter but to keep the group going after Bernard Butler left
I watched the documentary on Sunday. Really enjoyed it. They've released it on DVD with loads of extras. £25 though!

Last edited:
I thought Suede were excellent last night. I thought Anderson`s voice was pretty decent although there were one or two times where he struggled, like you say, the last song, Life Is Golden. The new album is absolutely brilliant too. I`ve always thought they were a cut above their peers and last night just confirmed that to me.

If anyone is interested I`ve pinged a few photos up onto my Flickr site here: mickb2112

Back