Succession HBO

you're spot on, it could only be better than Sopranos if it was a drama about a disfunctional mafia street boss and his extended family, based in New Jersey.

what's succession about?

Anyway on IMDB succession rates 8.7 and Sopranos 9.2, so it simply is not.

Hmm 'struggled with Sopranos' , your judgement simply has to be brought into question...
Succession is, as the title suggests, the jockeying for position to inherit a media conglomerate very much based on the Murdoch family

IMDB is not the final say but I would agree generally close to correct, the thing is Succession is only on its 3rd series whereas Sopranos has been extant for years so of course it is going to have a fuller voting record

Succession is definitely as good if not better than Sopranos at this point but we shall see how the future series bear up.

Succession is, as the title suggests, the jockeying for position to inherit a media conglomerate very much based on the Murdoch family

IMDB is not the final say but I would agree generally close to correct, the thing is Succession is only on its 3rd series whereas Sopranos has been extant for years so of course it is going to have a fuller voting record

Succession is definitely as good if not better than Sopranos at this point but we shall see how the future series bear up.
The nature of succession gives it less scope to grow than the broad base of the various activities of the mob

The nature of succession gives it less scope to grow than the broad base of the various activities of the mob
No, that's not right seeing as in Succession they get up to all sorts
I feel like series has lost a bit of steam tbh. Might just be picking up last two episodes
Sopranos was at its best when it seemed like nothing happened for a few episodes, it is character led rather than action led, like Succession.

pound for pound, would you say its better than, say, dynasty?

you're spot on, it could only be better than Sopranos if it was a drama about a disfunctional mafia street boss and his extended family, based in New Jersey.

what's succession about?

Hmm 'struggled with Sopranos' , your judgement simply has to be brought into question...
It was okay like but just didn’t find it amazing.

They both, and the Wire, and I'd say also Deadwood in parts, have a capacity to speak of or observe the human condition in ways which to me feel True in the way only the greatest art can.

Having rewatched it recently though the Sopranos stands alongside Shakespeare and the likes of the 19th century Novelists as an examination of family and religion. Not only is there not a bad episode, there's not a bad scene. And it uses its length, which is massive, intentionally and with purpose. Its never spinning its wheels. There's no filler in it. It's worst moments are pretty much any other seasons best.

Succession's scope seems far more limited but after last night's episode, which was terrifying, it seems to be broadening its scope appropriately ie the logical extension of privelege into white Supreamacy, the death of democracy, and the enablers responsible like Shiv who will watch it happen but with a sad face. I was rooting for her so much in that final scene, and she crumpled like wet tissue paper.

I'd say the Sopranos has a more optimistic perspective for humanity than Sucsession at this point, which is really saying something.

what's succession about?

Sopranos is barely about the mafia though. It could have been about any once powerful fading family concern that's dying in the 21st century. Its about family, how they fuck you up, how you fuck them up. Both are centred around incredibly charismatic but flawed figureheads who are cancerous to everything they touch because they never learned how to deal with their insecurities and dysfunctions.

They're actually very similar premises to be honest. Outside we see these all powerful individuals, inside we see they're as scared, confused and unsatisfied, if not more so, than everybody else. The problem is that unlike most people who have to deal with that shit, the power they have means dealing with their psychodramas affects everybody below them, be that yard cleaners in the Sopranos or the entire Western world in sucsession.

Last edited:
They both, and the Wire, and I'd say also Deadwood in parts, have a capacity to speak of or observe the human condition in ways which to me feel True in the way only the greatest art can.

Having rewatched it recently though the Sopranos stands alongside Shakespeare and the likes of the 19th century Novelists as an examination of family and religion. Not only is there not a bad episode, there's not a bad scene. And it uses its length, which is massive, intentionally and with purpose. Its never spinning its wheels. There's no filler in it. It's worst moments are pretty much any other seasons best.

Succession's scope seems far more limited but after last night's episode, which was terrifying, it seems to be broadening its scope appropriately ie the logical extension of privelege into white Supreamacy, the death of democracy, and the enablers responsible like Shiv who will watch it happen but with a sad face. I was rooting for her so much in that final scene, and she crumpled like wet tissue paper.

I'd say the Sopranos has a more optimistic perspective for humanity than Sucsession at this point, which is really saying something.

Sopranos is barely about the mafia though. It could have been about any once powerful fading family concern that's dying in the 21st century. Its about family, how they fuck you up, how you fuck them up. Both are centred around incredibly charismatic but flawed figureheads who are cancerous to everything they touch because they never learned how to deal with their insecurities and dysfunctions.

They're actually very similar premises to be honest. Outside we see these all powerful individuals, inside we see they're as scared, confused and unsatisfied, if not more so, than everybody else. The problem is that unlike most people who have to deal with that shit, the power they have means dealing with their psychodramas affects everybody below them, be that yard cleaners in the Sopranos or the entire Western world in sucsession.

can't disagree with any of that really, not fully anyway, the overriding similarity is that both are character led and allow the luxury of episodes with little action but beautiful insights into the characters

Succession is still in its infancy so we can not really call it yet but while I think I enjoyed the Sopranos more, Succession is bitingly good and maybe better by other measures, as for C19th novelists I'd say Succession reminds me more of the Metaphysicals but the dialogue between the mind and the soul is very much one sided but has that sense of debauchery.

can't disagree with any of that really, not fully anyway, the overriding similarity is that both are character led and allow the luxury of episodes with little action but beautiful insights into the characters

Succession is still in its infancy so we can not really call it yet but while I think I enjoyed the Sopranos more, Succession is bitingly good and maybe better by other measures, as for C19th novelists I'd say Succession reminds me more of the Metaphysicals but the dialogue between the mind and the soul is very much one sided but has that sense of debauchery.
Another thing thats just occured to me is Sopranos is also the showcase for some incredible cultural achievements, like the music on most of the episodes, it's also in direct discourse with quiet a lot of great film and TV and stuff as well and shows them off.

Sucsession is an amazing production and the score is incredible but its quite hermetically sealed. Which I think is intentional, its designed to indicate just how culturally sterile the Roy's et Al are.

But bottom line is there's no John Cooper Clark or Annie Lennox or Otis Redding or like 100+ other amazing cultural artists given any space in Sucsession, but they are in the Sopranos.

Another thing thats just occured to me is Sopranos is also the showcase for some incredible cultural achievements, like the music on most of the episodes, it's also in direct discourse with quiet a lot of great film and TV and stuff as well and shows them off.

Sucsession is an amazing production and the score is incredible but its quite hermetically sealed. Which I think is intentional, its designed to indicate just how culturally sterile the Roy's et Al are.

But bottom line is there's no John Cooper Clark or Annie Lennox or Otis Redding or like 100+ other amazing cultural artists given any space in Sucsession, but they are in the Sopranos.
it does cast Ken's muscial stylings into brilliantly stark relief that way yes

The Sopranos broke the mould and redefined what could be done on the small screen. Without the Sopranos there would be no Breaking Bad and no Succession. It’s the best thing currently being aired by a long way. Great to see the writer of Peep Show knocking out such widely praised TV

Even though it's a HBO production, that may well be down to budget

Back