Sub 2 hour marathon attempt

Pacemakers starting a race and then taking over duties is, in my opinion, totally different to pacemakers dropping in( for example every few miles)

But he’s still running the distance himself. The fact that there are fresh pacemakers is psychological, they don’t give him a new engine, drugs or an afterburner. It’s still just his own lungs, heart and legs.

Load of bollox the likes of timing car in front of him to block any winds and pace makers to drop in and out.
He’s not far from doing it in a proper race...this is a bit meh :rolleyes:
Short of him having a huge tail wind for the entire run or getting a lift for the first 4 miles, I don't care how he does it... it will be amazing if he is able to achieve it.

But he’s still running the distance himself. The fact that there are fresh pacemakers is psychological, they don’t give him a new engine, drugs or an afterburner. It’s still just his own lungs, heart and legs.

And the benefit of shelter from the wind....which is said to be worth 2% in marathon runners.
Not that it’s just pacemakers giving him shelter in a formation, but also a timing vehicle to give added shelter.
Fresh pace makers not just psychological, it means there is no chance of them tilting or let pace slip

Short of him having a huge tail wind for the entire run or getting a lift for the first 4 miles, I don't care how he does it... it will be amazing if he is able to achieve it.

Course it’s amazing, but then I consider running a 2 hr 20 marathon pretty amazing.

He’s so good and so near doing it without artificial help, it just seems a kop out and something I’m personally not arsed about.

In decades time the only thing I’d imagine people will remember is who was the first to legally break the two hours.

Last edited:
And the benefit of shelter from the wind....which is said to be worth 2% in marathon runners.
Not that it’s just pacemakers giving him shelter in a formation, but also a timing vehicle to give added shelter.
Fresh pace makers not just psychological, it means there is no chance of them tilting or let pace slip

Course it’s amazing, but then I consider running a 2 hr 20 marathon pretty amazing.

He’s so good and so near doing it without artificial help, it just seems a kop out and something I’m personally not arsed about.

In decades time the only thing I’d imagine people will remember is who was the first to legally break the two hours.

There have been so many track records that were set with pace setters... I remember the African runners using them back in the day. 1500 meters and 6 Kenyans in the lineup.... 2 of whom were purely there to keep the race to an agreed on pace.

There have been so many track records that were set with pace setters... I remember the African runners using them back in the day. 1500 meters and 6 Kenyans in the lineup.... 2 of whom were purely there to keep the race to an agreed on pace.

But not ones running behind a car with an oversized timing board ( in an attempt to cut down the airflow) along with pacemakers who were allowed to drop out and be replaced by fresh pacemakers.

In cases mentioned above the pacemakers tire and Kipchoge would have to do the hard work at the end. In this latest attempt this won’t happen and he’d just get fresh pacemakers to shield him.
It’s not the pacemaking but the arrowhead shielding which saved him a couple of minutes over his best time

Eliud Kipchoge: London Marathon winner to attempt to break two-hour barrier

Kipchoge fancies another go at it, can’t wrap my head round being able to move that fast for one mile never mind 26!
It took me 2 hours to do a half marathon and I was in my best ever shape. I was proud as fuck

But a pacemaker can’t do the whole thing themselves! Otherwise they’d set the record.
:lol::lol:

It’s like that guy who ran 100m backwards in like 14 seconds. Turn him around and he’d have a bloody good go at the actual record

Last edited:
Imagine being beaten to the mark by someone dressed as Mr. Testicles man :lol:

Happened to me in the Gateshead 10K.

First ever 10K and I wasn't very well but ran it anyway. Was jogging up the bit going into the stadium thinking "hey, I've managed and I haven't done too bad", then a giant Hello Kitty overtook me and I watched them sprint around the track while I puffed and panted my way around like a hippo. Felt like a proper kick in the tits :oops::lol:

But not ones running behind a car with an oversized timing board ( in an attempt to cut down the airflow) along with pacemakers who were allowed to drop out and be replaced by fresh pacemakers.

In cases mentioned above the pacemakers tire and Kipchoge would have to do the hard work at the end. In this latest attempt this won’t happen and he’d just get fresh pacemakers to shield him.
It’s not the pacemaking but the arrowhead shielding which saved him a couple of minutes over his best time

That's a bit much to be fair. Although if he has a pace car protecting him from the wind, does it not automatically become a better pace setter than human pacemakers??

That's a bit much to be fair. Although if he has a pace car protecting him from the wind, does it not automatically become a better pace setter than human pacemakers??

had the benefit of both at Monza. The formation used by pacemakers and the pace car were bot benefitial.
Even daft things like getting his drinks handed to him by Moto rather than having to deviate to a table and slow down were all used and clearly would never be allowed in a proper race.

I've got a few links on home computer which cover the aero benefits of the car and arrow formation used. Will post later

Are car may be less consistent, may have to slow for corners etc.

Done at Monza with wide sweeping turns so not an issue

Looks like this is set for this Saturday, being streamed live on YouTube, time TBC but expected to start between 5am-9am dependent on the weather.

Back