Sub 2 hour marathon attempt

Doing the Edinburgh marathon on 26th, will miss playoff final if we get there. Can’t imagine running that fast for a mile, insane pace. I’m aiming for 4.5 hours!

Perhaps he meant by telephone or on a bike?

I’m doing one in November. Hoping for sub 5h. The winner will be showered, dressedand having steak and chips by then.

Doing the Edinburgh marathon on 26th, will miss playoff final if we get there. Can’t imagine running that fast for a mile, insane pace. I’m aiming for 4.5 hours!

Good choice. One of the flatter courses and if the weather is mild and overcast it's very easy to get into a comfortable rhythm. I finished in 4hr 32min and felt fine (this was 3 years ago).

That was roughly 10 and a half minutes a mile. For a sub 2 hour it has to be 4 and a half. Now I know I cruised it but to be 6 minutes a mile quicker is a superhuman effort. Can't get my head around a man being just 30 seconds off the pace for 26 miles on the trot from Roger Bannister who collapsed after doing just one.

Last edited:
A record should only count if there are no pace makers and the race is true run. The record should be disregarded if there is any evidence of pace making or other assistance and that includes having a timing car in front.
You'd have to write off a great bunch of records if that were the case.
Most distance records are set in races with pace makers.

But a pacemaker can’t do the whole thing themselves! Otherwise they’d set the record.

No but pacemakers taking it in turns to set pace and dropping out ( like Chataway and Brasher) a world away from pacemakers say joining in fresh from say mile 20.

Back