Style of football

Go one up and sit back. If it's like that again this year I'll not be at many games. I can live with the fact that we're in League One but I can't stomach playing like we're the underdogs almost every f***ing game. I'll give him 5 games into the new season and if nothing changes I'll find something else to do until he's gone.
I think both him and one of his predecessors claimed that players naturally sit back in such circumstances although not instructed to do that.
If so, we need more coaching from the sidelines - the staff just appear to accept what is going on and seem to be of the 'there's nothing we can do once the players crossed the white line' mentality...

Exactly what footballing philosophy does the manager subscribe to? From what I've seen we don't press very well, we're not possession based, we're too slow to play counter attack, don't do long ball well, don't get crosses into the box for a big man. Does he simply see who is fit then slot them into a formation? The team obviously a work in progress but far from impressed thus far
A shite one.

I think both him and one of his predecessors claimed that players naturally sit back in such circumstances although not instructed to do that.
If so, we need more coaching from the sidelines - the staff just appear to accept what is going on and seem to be of the 'there's nothing we can do once the players crossed the white line' mentality...

Really? We played some of last seasons games without a striker on the pitch. That's the manager sending a message. I see many similarities between Ross and Moyes and that's depressing.

Really? We played some of last seasons games without a striker on the pitch. That's the manager sending a message. I see many similarities between Ross and Moyes and that's depressing.
We competed with Ross but didn't under Moyes.
I'm still prepared to back Ross as I think with better signings, his tactics and substitutions will be seen in a good light.

Exactly what footballing philosophy does the manager subscribe to? From what I've seen we don't press very well, we're not possession based, we're too slow to play counter attack, don't do long ball well, don't get crosses into the box for a big man. Does he simply see who is fit then slot them into a formation? The team obviously a work in progress but far from impressed thus far
One of the biggest problems we have is grigg and wyke are not good enough to play up front as lone striker. If we play both we get over run in midfield. Then we try to play on the counter attack with no pace . After watching so many shite teams this season just pass the ball straight out of play ,you would think we would be able to play possession football and keep the ball . But ut we look no better than the dross we play against . It is so frustrating , seems like no plan A or B

Ross is under big scrutiny now - pressure is on from day 1 this season.
Any signs of drifting out/away from the top 2 and he's a goner.

Examples of where pressing the ball failed
It was pretty obvious in the early part of the season we tried to press the ball, but couldn't do it for 90mins (like op have also said on this thread) added to that Ross started to play Cattermole and Power in the CM spots which meant we sat more deep.

Our midfield don’t have the energy or pace to implement a high pressing game. More of the sit deep and point at others game.

You can have one doing this, but not two all season or especially against the better sides with athleticism in the middle of the park. The full backs are key to attacking whilst the holding player almost fills in at centre back with the two centre halves splitting. You need c.halves with pace for that .

Kick - Watch ball - Run round in a circle - Kick - Watch ball, etc, etc, etc.

It was pretty obvious in the early part of the season we tried to press the ball, but couldn't do it for 90mins (like op have also said on this thread) added to that Ross started to play Cattermole and Power in the CM spots which meant we sat more deep.
I dont agree that it failed, Ross just didn't use that tactic much.

I remember Scunthorpe at home, we out worked them and pressed them and we had the game won by half time. That for me should have been the blueprint for the season but Ross, for some reason, didn't adopt those tactics again

Based on where he positions Luke I’d say Ross’ style revolves around a False 09.

Back