Style of football

LostTheDressingRoom

Central Defender
Exactly what footballing philosophy does the manager subscribe to? From what I've seen we don't press very well, we're not possession based, we're too slow to play counter attack, don't do long ball well, don't get crosses into the box for a big man. Does he simply see who is fit then slot them into a formation? The team obviously a work in progress but far from impressed thus far

Exactly what footballing philosophy does the manager subscribe to? From what I've seen we don't press very well, we're not possession based, we're too slow to play counter attack, don't do long ball well, don't get crosses into the box for a big man. Does he simply see who is fit then slot them into a formation? The team obviously a work in progress but far from impressed thus far
Not lose style of football. That certainly doesn't win leagues.

Transfer policy is laughable & incompetent. Should sign his players around whatever style he wants to play. Clearly last season they just took anyone and it fucked them up.

For example; If he wants to play from the back or press high up he needs to sign some CBs that have pace and can actually kick the ball accurately.

Signed the likes of McGeough & Leadbitter who clearly didn't fit into his midfield plans.

Talked about how he wanted Maja to run in behind more so replaced him with Grigg for up to 4 mill who also didn't run in behind.

There isn't one, and last season's failure stems from that.

He talked about being 'pragmatic' when he got here, it turns out that was code for not having a clue how we should try and play.

We don't even stick to a style of play within a single match, shifting from periods of toothless possession to aimless long balls in the space of a few minutes.

The approach seems to be get the ball to McGeady, hope that something turns up, then try and hold on to the lead.

Basically, he's been f***ing shite.

I'd say it's quite a cautious style but that's not how he wants to play it stems from our midfield being full of grafters who are slow and small, I see onien being the one to sort that out next year though.

Personally in league one I think every game the team should aim for 5 goals and fuck everything else, no one keeps clean sheets in this league.

I'd say it's quite a cautious style but that's not how he wants to play it stems from our midfield being full of grafters who are slow and small, I see onien being the one to sort that out next year though.

Personally in league one I think every game the team should aim for 5 goals and fuck everything else, no one keeps clean sheets in this league.
Didn't he say something like he'd prefer to win 5-4 than 1-0?

Without a clear style of play, where it's fairly simple to slot players in and out ,either within the game or transfer window, it seems a bit disorganised. One can only conclude the manager doesn't have one, or the one he has doesn't work. A worrying sign

I think its quite obvious his teams are set up not to lose.

You dont win championship by the least amount of losses, you win them of the amount of victories.

Last edited:
We tried to press in the early part of the season however it was quite obvious we really didn't have the players to do it and we're constantly caught out on the break. Ross then decided to play a more cautious approach however all it did was make us sit deep and get caught out.. in reality without the right players brought in the team especially in central midfield not much will change until that's fixed.

We tried to press in the early part of the season however it was quite obvious we really didn't have the players to do it and we're constantly caught out on the break. Ross then decided to play a more cautious approach however all it did was make us sit deep and get caught out.. in reality without the right players brought in the team especially in central midfield not much will change until that's fixed.
What examples of pressing didn't work?

we pressed a lot higher up the pitch at the start of the season and it worked better IMO. Players ran out of steam unfortunately

Wish we'd got the results from 'the early part of the season' at the end part of the season though.

Go one up and sit back. If it's like that again this year I'll not be at many games. I can live with the fact that we're in League One but I can't stomach playing like we're the underdogs almost every f***ing game. I'll give him 5 games into the new season and if nothing changes I'll find something else to do until he's gone.

Back