Student Loans

I know someone who did. Numerous letters sent out, somehow got hold of a forwarding address in Oz for him.

They must supply information to other govt departments as he got stopped and questioned about it at passport control when back for Christmas

Last I heard he was given the choice of a large fine or six months inside :eek:

Last edited:
2 lads that work for me have had letters, as have I from HMRC to say we as an employer need to start deducting monies direct from source (their pay) as they are eligible to pay up apparently, both are on decent wages but not £25k that they seemed to think was the threshold to start paying

got to check it out tomorrow to see what the hell is going on, seems harsh to be fair.

2 lads that work for me have had letters, as have I from HMRC to say we as an employer need to start deducting monies direct from source (their pay) as they are eligible to pay up apparently, both are on decent wages but not £25k that they seemed to think was the threshold to start paying

got to check it out tomorrow to see what the hell is going on, seems harsh to be fair.

is that like "cruel to be kind"

When I was working in Japan they didn't ask me to provide anything. Was probably below the pay threshold. I took a career break a few years later and they sent me a host of letters asking to prove I was living off savings.

Do you live abroad?

It's anything over £17,775 on Plan 1 or anything over £21k for Plan 2 (Post 2012 course start).

Aye me when I went to Aus.

I’d been having money taken out of my pay since graduating but had never actually spoken or received correspondence from the SLC so when I moved I never thought about it at all. They would have just stopped getting money from the HMRC but then would not have had up to date address details for me.

But heard nothing from them in Aus. If I had and didn’t want to pay it then it wouldn’t have been enforceable so would have ‘got away with it’ if I’d stayed over there.
Instead I came back, started working and started getting hammered about £500 a month. There was six and a half years worth of interest added on top of what I owed when I left.

Just pay it is my recommendation of course……

I’d been having money taken out of my pay since graduating but had never actually spoken or received correspondence from the SLC so when I moved I never thought about it at all. They would have just stopped getting money from the HMRC but then would not have had up to date address details for me.

But heard nothing from them in Aus. If I had and didn’t want to pay it then it wouldn’t have been enforceable so would have ‘got away with it’ if I’d stayed over there.
Instead I came back, started working and started getting hammered about £500 a month. There was six and a half years worth of interest added on top of what I owed when I left.

Cheers bob

Or stay abroad.

Back