Stroke

I had a mini stroke in 2018.. although i think it was more than that.. my speach is shite i stutter like fck.. my mobility is poor and i have serious anxiety.. i couldnt get out of bed when it happened and ended up in hospital and had carers for a while.. but what im asking is do you ever get back to normality..

My dad had one and has never recovered but a lot of other things have contributed to that such as being a heavy smoker and not leaving the house.

Hope you get back to health.

My dad had one and has never recovered but a lot of other things have contributed to that such as being a heavy smoker and not leaving the house.

Hope you get back to health.
i dont smoke but like a beer... i mean compared to how i was at the time im like the terminator now ha.. but its deff took its toll..

I had a mini stroke in 2018.. although i think it was more than that.. my speach is shite i stutter like fck.. my mobility is poor and i have serious anxiety.. i couldnt get out of bed when it happened and ended up in hospital and had carers for a while.. but what im asking is do you ever get back to normality..
Did you have any therapy at the time? Speech therapy, physio etc.

My Dad had a severe stroke. After it initially happened, the whole of his left side was completely paralysed. His couldn't move any of the left side of his body, he couldn't swallow, he left eye didn't work at all and he was just left flat on his back being unable to do anything.

We constantly worked with him and managed to get a decent quality of life back for him. He lived for another five years and in that time his eye recovered about 75%. He said it was like always being next to a wall. When you put his dinner down, you had to put it to the right side of him, or he wouldn't see the food on the left hand edge of the plate. We did loads of work building his muscles up, getting him so he was able to sit up, then we worked on standing. It was possible to transfer him from armchair to wheelchair without using the hoist. He could shuffle to the edge of the armchair and then if you grabbed his dead thigh between your thighs and got him to hug you, he could stand and we could pivot together to get him into the wheelchair. His dead arm was recovering and he could move the top half of it about and we were working on trying to bring his fingers back to life.

He then caught a kidney infection and ended up in hospital where he caught pneumonia and sadly he wasn't strong enough to fight it off. Had he lived, I think he would have continued to make progress and got stronger as time passed.

They didn't get much help from the NHS. He was going to a private physio up near Prudhoe and a NeuroActive which runs in Ouston Community Centre. Home | NeuroActiveUk Both are highly recommended and really helped with his progress. I can find out the name of the Prudhoe lady if you want. NeuroActive are a fantastic bunch of people. He really enjoyed his days when he went there.

Look after yourself mate xx

My Nan died of one and it was awful seeing her in tears trying to speak to me and unable to form the words. My Dad died of a number in succession but he was in a coma (or at least appeared to be) by the time I could get to his bedside. It terrifies me! I'd rather be hit by a bus and know nowt about it.

My Nan died of one and it was awful seeing her in tears trying to speak to me and unable to form the words. My Dad died of a number in succession but he was in a coma (or at least appeared to be) by the time I could get to his bedside. It terrifies me! I'd rather be hit by a bus and know nowt about it.
My Dad had a severe stroke. After it initially happened, the whole of his left side was completely paralysed. His couldn't move any of the left side of his body, he couldn't swallow, he left eye didn't work at all and he was just left flat on his back being unable to do anything.

We constantly worked with him and managed to get a decent quality of life back for him. He lived for another five years and in that time his eye recovered about 75%. He said it was like always being next to a wall. When you put his dinner down, you had to put it to the right side of him, or he wouldn't see the food on the left hand edge of the plate. We did loads of work building his muscles up, getting him so he was able to sit up, then we worked on standing. It was possible to transfer him from armchair to wheelchair without using the hoist. He could shuffle to the edge of the armchair and then if you grabbed his dead thigh between your thighs and got him to hug you, he could stand and we could pivot together to get him into the wheelchair. His dead arm was recovering and he could move the top half of it about and we were working on trying to bring his fingers back to life.

He then caught a kidney infection and ended up in hospital where he caught pneumonia and sadly he wasn't strong enough to fight it off. Had he lived, I think he would have continued to make progress and got stronger as time passed.

They didn't get much help from the NHS. He was going to a private physio up near Prudhoe and a NeuroActive which runs in Ouston Community Centre. Home | NeuroActiveUk Both are highly recommended and really helped with his progress. I can find out the name of the Prudhoe lady if you want. NeuroActive are a fantastic bunch of people. He really enjoyed his days when he went there.

Look after yourself mate xx
four years on now and i still walk like a cripple but i refuse to use a stick.. mine was the left side as well but obv not to the extent of the stroke ye dad had.. i cant write very well which sounds trivial but its embarrising.. am pretty much retired now at 55.. its an awful thing to happen to anyone

I had a stroke in 2018 at the age of 51. Hit the comms centre of my brain so I had no mobility issues but struggled with speech, reading and concentration. Sharp noises also sent me up the wall. My temper got shorter as well.

I was an Army officer at the time and got a lot of support. I learnt to stop trying to get back to where I was before and roll with it. I told everyone where I was at when I went back to work, and If things wound me up I just took 5 to rebalance. That was very useful if meetings got boring.

I completed my career last year and am now back at Uni. Things get better over time. You'll be fine.

I had a stroke in 2018 at the age of 51. Hit the comms centre of my brain so I had no mobility issues but struggled with speech, reading and concentration. Sharp noises also sent me up the wall. My temper got shorter as well.

I was an Army officer at the time and got a lot of support. I learnt to stop trying to get back to where I was before and roll with it. I told everyone where I was at when I went back to work, and If things wound me up I just took 5 to rebalance. That was very useful if meetings got boring.

I completed my career last year and am now back at Uni. Things get better over time. You'll be fine.
back at uni at 51.. fck me what you studying..

back at uni at 51.. fck me what you studying..
Archaeology PhD 😂. I'm so old I'm invisible to the kids so they're no problem. Reading can still be hard work at times and I give presentations from a script rather than ad lib because I'm now aphasic. I tell everyone the background, but I still get pissed off if people assume that just because I might be slow to give an answer doesn't mean I haven't got one. But the vast majority of people are very accommodating.

But I it doesn't bother me as much as it did. My outcome could have been so much worse. That and the fact I can afford the beer in the Student Union...😁

Archaeology PhD 😂. I'm so old I'm invisible to the kids so they're no problem. Reading can still be hard work at times and I give presentations from a script rather than ad lib because I'm now aphasic. I tell everyone the background, but I still get pissed off if people assume that just because I might be slow to give an answer doesn't mean I haven't got one. But the vast majority of people are very accommodating.

But I it doesn't bother me as much as it did. My outcome could have been so much worse. That and the fact I can afford the beer in the Student Union...😁
😄👍

I had a mini one on Monday apparently, feel totally fine now, been back up today for mri and ultrasound etc.
Hopefully that's the end of it but def need to take it like a lucky warning and change a few things although not dramatically thankfully.
Couple extra meds too actually.

I had a mini one on Monday apparently, feel totally fine now, been back up today for mri and ultrasound etc.
Hopefully that's the end of it but def need to take it like a lucky warning and change a few things although not dramatically thankfully.
Couple extra meds too actually.
Keep the positive outlook, but don't worry if you have occasional bad days. Don't try to rush things and you'll soon feel better.

Keep the positive outlook, but don't worry if you have occasional bad days. Don't try to rush things and you'll soon feel better.
Ah I feel OK tbh, as I say it was just a mini one not a proper one, in fact I'm getting wrong as people think I'm not taking it seriously!
Can't drive for 4 weeks like, doc says I'm fine to work but employers are being extra cautious but gonna have another chat tomorrow.
Cheers though mate👍 and hope everyone on here is OK, I've been very lucky compared to most.

Ah I feel OK tbh, as I say it was just a mini one not a proper one, in fact I'm getting wrong as people think I'm not taking it seriously!
Can't drive for 4 weeks like, doc says I'm fine to work but employers are being extra cautious but gonna have another chat tomorrow.
Cheers though mate👍 and hope everyone on here is OK, I've been very lucky compared to most.
Your friends may have a point. I felt fine as well, but the MRI showed a section of brain 60mm x 10mm which had effectively died. It was all repairable over time, but during the following weeks I'd just fall asleep at random times without feeling tired as the healing process took over. It was like just being switched off and on again.

My advice would be to take it easy for a couple of weeks until you're happy there's no adverse after effects, and the docs work out what caused it. Find your own pace and go with it.

Your friends may have a point. I felt fine as well, but the MRI showed a section of brain 60mm x 10mm which had effectively died. It was all repairable over time, but during the following weeks I'd just fall asleep at random times without feeling tired as the healing process took over. It was like just being switched off and on again.

My advice would be to take it easy for a couple of weeks until you're happy there's no adverse after effects, and the docs work out what caused it. Find your own pace and go with it.
Thank you mate, much appreciated info.
They're gonna ring with mri info tomorrow actually.
They're gonna do a full heart scan in few weeks just as a precaution too.

More than half the battle mate , adjustment . Fortunately at this time i havent had a stroke but used to do CBT for long term conditions , stroke being one .
The way we think about our situations is massive .

Back